Centripetal acceleration of car around curve

In summary, Daniel tried to find the centripetal acceleration of a car on a curved highway using the normal force, friction, and weight, but he got an incorrect answer. He found that the car could go at a speed of 20 m/sec without skidding if the friction force was equal to the weight of the car.
bignasty
A highway curves to the left with radius of curvature R = 25m. The highway's surface is banked at 27 degrees so that cars can this curve at higher speeds. Consider a car of mass 1800kg whose tires have a static friction coefficient of 0.62 against the pavement. Take g=9.8. How fast can the car take this curve without skidding to the outside of curve? answer in m/s.

I tried this problem and got it to be 15.7 m/s, but when I submitted it, it was wrong. I treat the direction going down the bank to be the positive direction. I said that the forces acting in the positive direction where the force due to static friction (9.8*1800*cos(27)*.62) and the force due to gravity (9.8*1800*sin(27)). I said for the car not to go off the outside of the curve, the forces going in the positive direction have to be equal to mv^2/R, which is centripetal acceleration. So I solved for v and got 15.7 but its wrong. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Centripetal Force vector is horizontal and directed towards the center of the circular highway. It is not pointed down the bank.

~~

Last edited:
Really weird...With the data given,it seems the correct answer.I think the radius of 25m refers to the inclined circle.

Daniel.

EDIT:Xanthym may be right though.Perhaps the 25 m radius are not referred to the inclined circle after all..

Last edited:
The centripetal acceleration is towards the center of the circle: horizontally to the left, not down the bank. So, the sum of the horizontal components of the forces (normal force, friction, weight) must equal mv^2/R. And the vertical components must add to zero. Also: Do not assume the normal force equals mg cos(27).

bignasty said:
I treat the direction going down the bank to be the positive direction. I said that the forces acting in the positive direction where the force due to static friction (9.8*1800*cos(27)*.62) and the force due to gravity (9.8*1800*sin(27)). I said for the car not to go off the outside of the curve, the forces going in the positive direction have to be equal to mv^2/R, which is centripetal acceleration. So I solved for v and got 15.7 but its wrong. What did I do wrong?
The horizontal component of the normal force also contributes to the centripetal acceleration. So the forces acting in the 'positive' direction along the road surface don't have to provide all the centripetal acceleration. Take the horizontal components of friction force and the normal force and set them equal to v^2/r.

AM

Still need help

I tried using some of the suggested methods, and got a smaller answer of 11.17, but it is still not correct. I do not know what else to try. If anyone can perhaps emphasize a post that they know is correct in case I messed up, or provide a totally new approach, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bignasty said:
I tried using some of the suggested methods, and got a smaller answer of 11.17, but it is still not correct. I do not know what else to try. If anyone can perhaps emphasize a post that they know is correct in case I messed up, or provide a totally new approach, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
11.17 m/sec is the speed that the car could make the curve without any friction (ie. just the horizontal component of the normal force providing the centripetal acceleration). What is the maximum horizontal component of the friction force?

AM

The horizontal forces are:

(1)[tex]F_{xfriction} = \mu_sF_Ncos\theta[/tex]

(2)[tex]F_{Nx} = F_Nsin\theta[/tex]

Therefore:

(3)[tex]F_Nsin\theta + \mu_sF_Ncos\theta = mv^2/r[/tex]

Correction: I see that it is a bit more complicated. It is not quite right that the normal force is: [itex]F_N = mgcos\theta[/itex] as I said before, because both the centripetal acceleration and gravity push the car toward the road.

One has to look at the vertical components of the forces to find the normal force. These have to sum to zero (since there is no vertical acceleration). The friction force has a downward vertical component and this, together with gravity, equals the vertical component of the normal force:

[tex]mg + \mu_sF_Nsin\theta = F_Ncos\theta[/tex]

So:
(4)[tex]F_N = mg/(cos\theta - \mu_ssin\theta)[/tex]

So substituting into (3):

[tex]\frac{mg}{(cos\theta - \mu_ssin\theta)}(sin\theta + \mu_scos\theta) = mv^2/r[/tex]

(5)[tex]v = \sqrt{\frac{rg(sin\theta + \mu_scos\theta)}{(cos\theta - \mu_ssin\theta)}[/tex]

Substituting values cos(27) = .89 and sin(27) = .45

[tex]v = \sqrt{25*9.8*(.45 + .62*.89)/(*(.89 - .62*.45)} = 20 m/sec[/tex]

AM

Last edited:
Amazing

Unbelievable! 14.77 was not correct! The method seemed to be completely correct. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. Perhaps there is an error in the online homework server .

bignasty said:
Unbelievable! 14.77 was not correct! The method seemed to be completely correct. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. Perhaps there is an error in the online homework server .
How about 20 m/sec? See corrected post above.

AM

The friction force has a downward vertical component and this, together with gravity, equals the vertical component of the normal force:

If we think about the a car not moving on the curved road, there are components of Normal Force and gravity which will make the car slide towards the inner bank. So for a stationary car static frictional force is towards the outer bank.

But when the car is at motion, there is the additional centrifugal component of the force towards the outer bank plus above mentioned forces toward inner bank. What direction do we choose for frictional force? You have chosen it to be towards inner bank. What made you to choose this direction? This seems to be right because choosing the opposite direction make the signs switch leading to an imaginary v.

Regards.

Yes! 20 m/s seconds was correct. Thank you for clarifying the fact that the normal force is not just mgcos(thetat). I noticed that someone had mentioned that previously, but I had no idea how to explain it. Makes sense now. Thanks to all who helped!

Gamma said:
If we think about the a car not moving on the curved road, there are components of Normal Force and gravity which will make the car slide towards the inner bank. So for a stationary car static frictional force is towards the outer bank.

But when the car is at motion, there is the additional centrifugal component of the force towards the outer bank plus above mentioned forces toward inner bank. What direction do we choose for frictional force? You have chosen it to be towards inner bank. What made you to choose this direction?
The actual static friction force will vary in magnitude and direction depending on the motion of the car. What we are trying to find is the maximum speed. At that speed, we know that the static friction force is exactly [itex]\mu_sF_N[/itex] and directed toward the inside bank because it is providing part of the centripetal acceleration. We know this because exceeding that speed will exceed the static friction force and will result in the car leaving the road by going off the outer bank (ie. the static friction force and gravity are not enough to supply the needed centripetal acceleration).

AM

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's circular motion.

2. How does a car experience centripetal acceleration around a curve?

When a car travels around a curve, its direction of motion is constantly changing. The tires of the car provide the necessary centripetal force to keep the car moving in a circular path, resulting in centripetal acceleration.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of centripetal acceleration in a car?

The magnitude of centripetal acceleration in a car is affected by the speed of the car, the radius of the curve, and the mass of the car. A higher speed or smaller radius will result in a larger centripetal acceleration, while a heavier car will require a larger centripetal force.

4. How is centripetal acceleration related to centripetal force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of centripetal motion, the net force is the centripetal force, which is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its centripetal acceleration.

5. Can centripetal acceleration cause a car to lose control on a curve?

Yes, if the centripetal force is not enough to keep the car moving in a circular path, the car may experience a centrifugal force that pushes it outwards, causing it to lose control on the curve. This is why it is important for drivers to adjust their speed and follow the recommended speed limit on curves.