1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal acceleration of Earth around Sun?

1. Dec 17, 2004 #1
    New question: centripetal force?

I can't seem to get the right answer...

R = 1.50 x 10^11

and I figure that 1 day/rev = 86400 sec/rev

So: [tex]\frac {2 \pi 1.50 * 10^{11}}{86400}[/tex] is the velocity, and then plug that into [tex]\frac {v^2}{r}[/tex] but I keep on getting 700 something..what am I doing wrong?

Question 2: At what minimum speed must a roller coaster be traveling when upside down at the top of a circle if the passengers are not to fall out? R = 8.6m

What I think you have to do is
    [tex] mg + F_c = m * \frac {v^2}{R}[/tex]

but I don't know what F would be...or am I approaching this the wrong way?
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Whoever told you that the Earth circles (on an ellipse :tongue2: ) the Sun in one day (86400s) is a WACKO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :surprised :surprised

PS.I hope u see the error. :tongue2:
  4. Dec 17, 2004 #3
    Wow. I'm dumb :tongue2:
  5. Dec 17, 2004 #4
    *Bump for new question*
  6. Dec 18, 2004 #5
    Hmm - Newton's second law(the mass cancels)... so, the centripetal acceleration has to be bigger than the gravitational acceleration.

\frac{v^2}{r} > -g
  7. Dec 18, 2004 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

So far, so good. What you call [itex]F_c[/itex] is the force exerted by the coaster on the passenger. The minimum speed of the coaster is that which will make [itex]F_c = 0[/itex]. When that force goes to zero, it means that the passengers are beginning to lose contact with the seat.
  8. Dec 18, 2004 #7
    Ah, thank you very much!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?