• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Centripetal acceleration of Earth around Sun?

• Thread starter psycovic23
  • Start date
New question: centripetal force?

I can't seem to get the right answer...

R = 1.50 x 10^11

and I figure that 1 day/rev = 86400 sec/rev

So: [tex]\frac {2 \pi 1.50 * 10^{11}}{86400}[/tex] is the velocity, and then plug that into [tex]\frac {v^2}{r}[/tex] but I keep on getting 700 something..what am I doing wrong?

Question 2: At what minimum speed must a roller coaster be traveling when upside down at the top of a circle if the passengers are not to fall out? R = 8.6m

What I think you have to do is
[tex] mg + F_c = m * \frac {v^2}{R}[/tex]

but I don't know what F would be...or am I approaching this the wrong way?

Last edited:

dextercioby

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
psycovic23 said:
I can't seem to get the right answer...
R = 1.50 x 10^11
and I figure that 1 day/rev = 86400 sec/rev
So: [tex]\frac {2 \pi 1.50 * 10^{11}}{86400}[/tex] is the velocity, and then plug that into [tex]\frac {v^2}{r}[/tex] but I keep on getting 700 something..what am I doing wrong?
Whoever told you that the Earth circles (on an ellipse :tongue2: ) the Sun in one day (86400s) is a WACKO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :surprised :surprised

Daniel.

PS.I hope u see the error. :tongue2:

Wow. I'm dumb :tongue2:

*Bump for new question*

F

futb0l

Hmm - Newton's second law(the mass cancels)... so, the centripetal acceleration has to be bigger than the gravitational acceleration.

[tex]
\frac{v^2}{r} > -g
[/tex]

Doc Al

Mentor
psycovic23 said:
Question 2: At what minimum speed must a roller coaster be traveling when upside down at the top of a circle if the passengers are not to fall out? R = 8.6m

What I think you have to do is
[tex] mg + F_c = m * \frac {v^2}{R}[/tex]

but I don't know what F would be...or am I approaching this the wrong way?
So far, so good. What you call [itex]F_c[/itex] is the force exerted by the coaster on the passenger. The minimum speed of the coaster is that which will make [itex]F_c = 0[/itex]. When that force goes to zero, it means that the passengers are beginning to lose contact with the seat.

Ah, thank you very much!

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving