1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal acceleration problem

1. Feb 8, 2005 #1
    I have the solution to this problem but i'm not understanding the concept behind the solution.

An object moves at constant speed along a circular path in a horizontal xy plane,with the center at the origin.When the object is at [tex] x=-2m[/tex] its velocity is [tex]-(4m/s)[/tex] in the J (hat) direction. Give the objects velocity and acceleration when it is at y=2m.

the answers -(4ms) in the i (hat) direction and -(8ms^s) in the j (hat direction)
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I really don't see a way to find the centripetal acceleration.You'd basically need "omega".What about the answer for the velocity...?To me,it seems 2 as big as it should be.

4. Feb 8, 2005 #3

Science Advisor

For the given uniform circular motion around the origin, the velocity "v" will have constant magnitude and be perpendicular to a radius drawn from the origin (center) to the object's position on the circle. When the object's velocity "v" is (-4 m/s)j at x=(-2 m), the radius from origin to object will lie along the x-axis, and therefore the object must be crossing the negative x-axis x=(-2 m). Thus, the circle radius is r=(2 m), and the object is moving counter-clockwise.

When the object is at y=(+2 m), it will be crossing the positive y-axis (since the circle's radius is r=2) in the counter-clockwise direction with the same magnitude as before. Thus, its velocity here is v=(-4 m/s)i. The acceleration "A" at this point must be perpendicular to its path and directed towards the circle's center. Hence, it will have direction (-1)j and magnitude (v^2)/r. Using the values for |v|=(4) and r=(2) yields A=(-8 m/sec^2)j.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  5. Feb 8, 2005 #4
    it is uniform circular motion... at any time the speed is constant

at x = -2 m the object is moving in -j direction only, and we immediately know that the object travels with speed 4 m/s in a circular path of radius 2 m in anti-clockwise direction.

so at y = 2 m, the x coordinate should be zero. and the velocity should be in -i direction. since there's not j component, v = -4 m/s i

and you just substitude numbers in the formula you should get the centripetal acceration
  6. Feb 9, 2005 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By = - 2 m you mean the point (-2,0), don't you? If so, this point belongs to the circle the object moves along (see attached picture) and this means that the radius of the circle is r = 2 m. It is also clear that the object moves anti-clockwise. From the relation between the linear velocity and angular velocity you get [tex]\omega = 2[/tex] 1/s. The linear velocity is perpendicular to the radius, the speed is constant, so the velocity at P' ( 0,2) is
    [tex]\vec{v} = -4 \vec {i} [/tex]
    and the centripetal acceleration is
    [tex] \vec {a} = - \omega^2 r \vec {j} = -8 \vec {j} [/tex]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  7. Feb 9, 2005 #6
    thanks i got it
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?