Centripetal acceleration turntable problem

In summary: The first is the force of gravity which pulls the water toward the center of the circle. The second is the centrifugal force which tries to push the water out of the center of the circle. There are two forces acting on...the chunk of water. The first is the force of gravity which pulls the water toward the center of the circle. The second is the centrifugal force which tries to push the water out of the center of the circle.
Zynoakib

Homework Statement

A small container of water is placed on a turntable
inside a microwave oven, at a radius of 12.0 cm from
the center. The turntable rotates steadily, turning one
revolution in each 7.25 s. What angle does the water
surface make with the horizontal?

Homework Equations

F = ma
a = v^2/ r

The Attempt at a Solution

Find the velocity of rotation:
0.12 x 2 x pi/ 7.25= 0.1 m/s

Find the centripetal acceleration:
(0.1)^2/ 0.12 = 0.09 ms^-2

Centripetal acceleration = 0.09 ms^-2 = horizontal acceleration
Gravitational acceleration = 9.8 ms^-2 = vertical acceleration

Angle make wit the horizontal surface
arctan (9.8/0.09) = 89 degree

I know it should have been arctan (0.09/9.8) = 0.526 degree (the actual answer), but in this way the centripetal acceleration would become the vertical acceleration whereas the gravitational acceleration would become horizontal acceleration.
What's wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zynoakib said:
I know it should have been arctan (9.8/0.09) = 0.526 degree (the actual answer),

Did you mean to type arctan (.09/9.8)?
Anyway, is the water surface parallel to the effective total acceleration, or is the water surface perpendicular to the acceleration?

TSny said:
Did you mean to type arctan (.09/9.8)?
Anyway, is the water surface parallel to the effective total acceleration, or is the water surface perpendicular to the acceleration?

Yes, my mistake. Corrected.
The water surface should be parallel to the resultant acceleration but how is it related to my problem?

Zynoakib said:
Yes, my mistake. Corrected.
The water surface should be parallel to the resultant acceleration but how is it related to my problem?
Suppose the turntable is not rotating so that there is no centripetal acceleration. The effective acceleration is now just gravity. What angle does the acceleration of gravity make with respect to the horizontal? What angle does the surface of the water make with respect to the horizontal in this case? Is the surface of the water parallel to the acceleration of gravity or perpendicular to the acceleration of gravity?

When the turntable is rotating, then in the frame of reference of the rotating table you can introduce a "net effective acceleration vector" by combining the downward acceleration of gravity with the outward, horizontal "centrifugal" acceleration ##v^2/r##. You should think about how the water surface is oriented relative to this net effective acceleration.

Last edited:
if the table is not rotating, there should only be gravitational acceleration acting perpendicular to the horizontal water surface.

If the table is rotating, there water should move outward, forming a slope pointing toward the center like this, but that would be arctan (9.8/0.09) = 89 degree instead of the other way

image.jpg

Do you know the formula for pressure change - ΔP = hρg ?

Zynoakib said:
if the table is not rotating, there should only be gravitational acceleration acting perpendicular to the horizontal water surface.

If the table is rotating, there water should move outward, forming a slope pointing toward the center like this, but that would be arctan (9.8/0.09) = 89 degree instead of the other way

image.jpg

The 89 degrees is the angle that the "net effective acceleration vector" makes to the horizontal. But that is not the angle that the water surface makes to the horizontal.

How is the surface of a lake oriented relative to the direction of the acceleration of gravity? What angle does the acceleration of gravity make relative to the horizontal and what angle does the surface of the lake make relative to the horizontal?

Qwertywerty said:
Do you know the formula for pressure change - ΔP = hρg ?
No, I don't

TSny said:
The 89 degrees is the angle that the "net effective acceleration vector" makes to the horizontal. But that is not the angle that the water surface makes to the horizontal.

How is the surface of a lake oriented relative to the direction of the acceleration of gravity? What angle does the acceleration of gravity make relative to the horizontal and what angle does the surface of the lake make relative to the horizontal?

You mean something like that? where F should be replaced by the centripetal acceleration and P should be replaced by the gravitational acceleration?

fluid_horizontal.png

Tan θ has a direct relation to height y upon distance x ( Tan θ = y/x ) , not to the accelerations .

Zynoakib said:
You mean something like that? where F should be replaced by the centripetal acceleration and P should be replaced by the gravitational acceleration?

fluid_horizontal.png

No.
I think I’ve caused confusion by trying to approach the problem using the idea of an “effective acceleration of gravity”. I thought that was maybe the way you were approaching the problem in your first post.

Instead, we can go back to basics and apply Newton’s laws in the inertial frame of the earth. Consider a small chunk of water at the surface as shown in the diagram below. The chunk moves in uniform circular motion where the center of the circle, C, lies on the axis of rotation of the turntable.

There are two forces acting on the chunk: gravity (mg) and a normal force (N) that is due to the water surrounding the chunk. The net force acting on the chunk is the vector sum of these two forces, which is shown as the green vector in the figure at the far right. The net force must point towards C and it must have a magnitude ##mv^2/r##.

Try to use this force diagram to determine the angle ##\theta## that the surface of the water makes to the horizontal.

Attachments

• Turntable 1.png
    Turntable 1.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,009
Likes Zynoakib
Qwertywerty said:
Tan θ has a direct relation to height y upon distance x ( Tan θ = y/x ) , not to the accelerations .
No, it can relate to magnitudes of forces (and thus accelerations) too.
But as TSny points out, centripetal force is a resultant, not an applied force. The applied forces are gravity and the normal force (acting on a parcel of surface water from the surrounding water).

haruspex said:

You mean like mg = N cos(θ) and N sin(θ) = mac ?

What I saw the OP doing was taking tan(θ) as g/ac , and so I tried to tell him that that's not how it works .

Qwertywerty said:
You mean like mg = N cos(θ) and N sin(θ) = mac ?

What I saw the OP doing was taking tan(θ) as g/ac , and so I tried to tell him that that's not how it works .
But it was then corrected to ac/g, which is right.

haruspex said:
But it was then corrected to ac/g, which is right.

By the OP ? Which post ?

Qwertywerty said:
By the OP ? Which post ?
By TSny. The OP's error is not in using tan theta as the ratio of the two accelerations but in getting the ratio the wrong way round. (Maybe by being confused about normal and parallel.) But the basic idea of equating the tangent to that ratio is valid.

haruspex said:
The OP's error is not in using tan theta as the ratio of the two accelerations but in getting the ratio the wrong way round. (Maybe by being confused about normal and parallel.)

I think he got tan(θ) as g/ac , the same way you might use tan(θ) as y/x - ( vertical and horizontal distances ) .

Thus my post .

Qwertywerty said:
I think he got tan(θ) as g/ac , the same way you might use tan(θ) as y/x - ( vertical and horizontal distances ) .

Thus my post .
Ok, but your wording gave the impression you objected to applying arctan to the ratio of the accelerations on principle.

haruspex said:
Ok, but your wording gave the impression you objected to applying arctan to the ratio of the accelerations on principle.

I got it . However , I can't edit my post now .

Thank you guys so much! Especially for the illustartion.

haruspex said:
But as TSny points out, centripetal force is a resultant, not an applied force. The applied forces are gravity and the normal force (acting on a parcel of surface water from the surrounding water).
Hope you can clarify one thing for me, does that mean I cannot use centripetal acceleration and trigonometric ratio to calculate the angle and other applied force acting on an object? Just because centripetal force is a resultant force?

Zynoakib said:
Hope you can clarify one thing for me, does that mean I cannot use centripetal acceleration and trigonometric ratio to calculate the angle and other applied force acting on an object? Just because centripetal force is a resultant force?
It depends how you arrived at the tan theta = ratio of accelerations equation. If it was a learned response you need to be careful that the circumstances are appropriate. If you learned it in the context of two applied forces but then use it where you have one applied and one resultant then it could turn out wrong. It would be more persuasive if you were to derive it in context from a standard sum of forces equation.

Likes Zynoakib

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration an object experiences as it moves in a circular path. It always points towards the center of the circle and is responsible for keeping the object moving in its circular path.

How does a turntable demonstrate centripetal acceleration?

A turntable demonstrates centripetal acceleration by rotating at a constant speed while keeping an object on its surface in circular motion. The force of friction between the turntable and the object provides the necessary centripetal force to keep the object moving in a circle.

What factors affect the centripetal acceleration of a turntable?

The centripetal acceleration of a turntable is affected by the speed of rotation, the mass of the object on the turntable, and the radius of the circular path. The greater the speed or mass, or the smaller the radius, the greater the centripetal acceleration.

How is centripetal acceleration calculated for a turntable?

The centripetal acceleration of a turntable can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the speed of rotation, and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula assumes that the turntable is rotating at a constant speed.

What are some real-life applications of the centripetal acceleration turntable problem?

The centripetal acceleration turntable problem is relevant in many real-life situations such as amusement park rides, carousels, and centrifuges used in medical and scientific research. It is also important in understanding the motion of objects in circular orbits, such as planets around the sun.