Centripetal Acceleration Problem

In summary, a student built and calibrated an accelerometer to determine the speed of her car around a curve. Her friend observed a 15 degree angle of the plumb bob when the car was traveling at 23m/s. Using force equations, the student was able to determine the centripetal acceleration of the car to be 2.628 ms^-2.
sap_54
Hello,
I am having the worst time figuring out how to solve this problem:

A student build and calibrates an acclerometer, which she uses to determine the speed of her car around a certain unbanked highway curve. The accelerometer is a plumb bob with a prtractor that she attaches to the roof of her car. A friend riding in the car with her observes that the plumb bob hangs at an angle of 15 degrees from the vertical when the car has a speed of 23m/s. What is the centripetal acceleration of the car?

Ok, I have my force equations:

The sum of the forces in the x=-Tcos75=-(mv^2)/r
The sum of the forces in the y=Tsin75-mg=0
I substituted T for mv^2/r, so mass cancels out, but I can't seem to figure out where to go from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I didnt use the speed.

resolve Tcos15 = m 9.81
Tsin15 = ma

divide

9.81tan15 = a

a = 2.628ms^-2

Hi there,

Firstly, great job on setting up your force equations! It looks like you're on the right track. To solve for the centripetal acceleration, you will need to use the equation a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity and r is the radius of the curve. In this case, the velocity is given as 23m/s and the radius is the distance from the center of the curve to the car's position.

To find this radius, you will need to use trigonometry. Since the plumb bob hangs at an angle of 15 degrees from the vertical, you can use the sine function to find the ratio of the opposite side (the distance from the center of the curve to the car's position) to the hypotenuse (the distance from the center of the curve to the roof of the car). This will give you the value of r.

Once you have the value of r, you can plug it into the centripetal acceleration equation along with the given velocity of 23m/s to solve for the acceleration. I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is dependent on the object's speed and the radius of the circle.

2. How is centripetal acceleration different from normal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is a special type of acceleration that only occurs when an object is moving in a circular path. Normal acceleration, on the other hand, refers to the change in an object's speed or direction in a straight line.

3. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some examples of centripetal acceleration include a car going around a curve, a planet orbiting around the sun, and a satellite orbiting around the Earth. Any object that moves in a circular path experiences centripetal acceleration.

4. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. What happens if the centripetal force is removed?

If the centripetal force is removed, the object will no longer be able to maintain its circular motion and will move in a straight line tangent to the circular path. This is known as centrifugal force, which is not a real force but rather an apparent force due to the object's inertia.