How Do You Calculate Centripetal Acceleration in Terms of g?

In summary, the problem is asking for the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration at a specific distance from the center of a centrifuge spinning at a given speed. The formula for calculating this acceleration is Ac = v^2 / r. The solution to this problem can then be divided by the acceleration due to Earth's gravity (g = 9.81 m/s^2) in order to express the answer in terms of g. The resulting number would be in units of g. If the answer is given in meters per second squared, it would need to be multiplied by 10^-2 to convert it to g.
tascja

Homework Statement

Calculate the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration at 8.4 cm from the centre of the centrifuge when it is spinning at 6.0x10^4 rpm. Express your answer in terms of g (acceleration due to Earth's gravity.)

Homework Equations

Ac = v^2 /
r

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution i just don't understand what they are asking from me when they say:
Express your answer in terms of g (acceleration due to Earth's gravity

Physics news on Phys.org
tascja said:
I know the solution i just don't understand what they are asking from me when they say:
Express your answer in terms of g (acceleration due to Earth's gravity

For example if you got your answer as 19.62ms^-2 that would be the same as 2*9.81 and since 9.81 is g, the acceleration would be 2g.

So what you want to do is divide your answer by 'g' i.e. 9.81, and the resulting number would be in terms of g.

thank you! so if my answer was 1.5x10^14 m/s^2 it would then become 1.53x10^13g ?

That would be it depending on what value you use for 'g'

tascja said:
thank you! so if my answer was 1.5x10^14 m/s^2 it would then become 1.53x10^13g ?
Yes, but that number is not the correct value of the acceleration.

Oh! its not velocity that's given its frequency

so the actual answer would be
Ac = 4.3x10^13 m/s^2

and in terms of g
= 4.3x10^12g

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when it moves in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circular motion.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated by dividing the square of the object's velocity by the radius of the circular path. The formula for centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius.

3. What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and centrifugal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that points towards the center of the circular path, while centrifugal acceleration is the "apparent" acceleration that points away from the center. Centrifugal acceleration is actually just the inertia of the object trying to keep it moving in a straight line.

4. How does centripetal acceleration affect the speed of an object in circular motion?

Centripetal acceleration does not directly affect the speed of an object in circular motion. However, it is necessary to maintain the object's velocity and prevent it from moving in a straight line.

5. What are some examples of centripetal acceleration in everyday life?

Some common examples of centripetal acceleration are the motion of a car around a curve, the rotation of a Ferris wheel, and the orbit of planets around the sun. In all of these cases, there is a force acting towards the center of the circular path that causes the object to accelerate.