1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal Acceleration

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An amusement park ride carries riders in a horizontal circle with radius 5m.

1) If the centripetal acc. is limited to .4 g for safety, what is the max tangential speed?
    2) If the tangential speed is doubled, what is the new acceleration?

2. Relevant equations

A= v^2/r

3. The attempt at a solution

1) (.4g(5m))^(1/2)
    max speed = 1.41 m/s

2) A = 2root2 m/s / 5m = 1.6 m/s^2

Does this look right?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

4. Sep 20, 2008 #3
    I wasn't sure because the next problem refers to a bike traveling around a circular curve and asks for acceleration. I was going to do the same thing, but there's a note next to the question that says "Remember this is a vector!". Why is that a vector and not this?
  5. Sep 20, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

I don't believe this is correct; I think you forgot to multiply by the factor of g.

The acceleration started out as (0.4 g) which is about 4m/s^2, and increasing the speed will not make the acceleration decrease.
  6. Sep 20, 2008 #5
    I see. Using 9.8 m/s^2 for g, I get 19.6^(1/2) m/s for part 1 and 15.68 m/s^2 for part 2.
    Still don't understand the next question. How can I calculate acceleration on a curve as a vector?
  7. Sep 20, 2008 #6

Homework Helper

He's right. I missed the g. Sorry.

As to the acceleration that's given by v2/r but it's radially directed. If the tangential speed is also accelerating then the value of the tangential acceleration is a vector that is added to the radially directed centripetal acceleration.The resultant vector is then directed at an angle to the radius.

Btw: the first one is a vector too. It's radial. The question though was only concerned with its magnitude.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  8. Sep 20, 2008 #7
    Um, not sure I get all that.
    This problem deals with constant speed, so I assume the tangential speed is not increasing.

It says " A bike travels around a circular curve of radius 80m at a constant speed of 10 m/s.
    1) Calculate the bike's acceleration.
    2) The bike slows uniformly to rewst in 6 seconds. Calculate the tangential acceleration component.
    3) The instant the bike is traveling 8 m/s, determine total acceleration.
  9. Sep 20, 2008 #8

Homework Helper

In the first part, you calculate the the V2/r as before.

In the second part the tangential is slowing so there is also a (-) tangential acceleration. This is a vector too.

The third part is asking you when the V is 8, and it's slowing at the negative tangential rate, what is the sum of those 2 vectors. Since the tangential is negative it will be trailing the radial vector at an angle.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  10. Sep 20, 2008 #9
    OK, I think I get it. I'm gonna go take a break before I try this. Thanks a lot for helping!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?