1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal Acceleration

1. Feb 12, 2009 #1
    A roller coaster at an amusement park has a dip that bottoms out in a vertical circle of radius r. A passenger feels the seat of the car pushing upward on her with a force equal to three times her weight as she goes through the dip. If r = 22.0 m, how fast is the roller coaster traveling at the bottom of the dip?

At the bottom of the dip, Fn -mg= m(v^2/r). I plugged in 3m for Fn since it's 3 times her weight, and I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good.
    Careful. 3m is a mass, not a force. What's her weight? What's 3 times her weight?

4. Feb 12, 2009 #3
    It looks like everything you have done is correct. When you say that you plugged in 3m for Fn you mean (3m)*g, right? If so, it looks correct.

5. Feb 12, 2009 #4
    No, I was not using 3mg, just 3m. That's where I messed it up. It makes sense now, thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook