Centripetal? Airplane problem

In summary, the pilot needs to bank the plane to 10 degrees to achieve lift. They found that v=660 ft/s and h=20,000 ft, so they used F=mg/cos(\theta) to find r=118.03 ft. This gave them a new distance from the airport of 20,118ft.
mcgooskie
In this problem I need to figure out how far I am from the airport.

The pilot tells us that we have to circle the aiport before we can land. We will maintain a speed of 450mph at an altitude of 20,000ft. while traveling in a horizontal circle around the airport. I notice that the pilot banks the plane so that the wings are oriented at 10deg to the horizontal. An article in the in-flight magazine says that planes can fly because the air exerts a force "lift" on the wings which is perpendicular to the wing surface.

So:
V=660 ft/s
h=20,000 ft
bank = 10deg to the horizontal

So I drew a FBD with my normal force perpendicular to my wings, which were banked to the horizontal.

Sum Fx=Wx=ma where a=v^2/r
sin10 (mg)=mv^2/r (mass drops out)
sin10 (32.2ft/s^2)=(660ft/s)/r
solving for r=118.03ft

add that to the current altitude of 20,000ft gives a distance of 20,118ft from the airport?

It doesn't seem like this problem could be this "easy". I feel like I am totally missing a point here.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
oops! I forgot to square my velocity. That being said, I have a new r=77,904ft.

If you figure 77,904 as the x value of a right triangle, and 20,000 as the y value, then the hypotenuse or distance from the airport would be 80,431ft or approx 15miles. This sounds more reasonable?

Why have you taken "mg" as your lift force?
Take another look!

mcgooskie said:
Sum Fx=Wx=ma where a=v^2/r
sin10 (mg)=mv^2/r (mass drops out)
sin10 (32.2ft/s^2)=(660ft/s)/r
solving for r=118.03ft

It seems from what you wrote above, the force F that is giving the plane lift has magnitude of mg. This is clearly not true.
Using F = ma in the vertical direction gives
[tex]0 = Fcos(\theta) - mg \rightarrow F = mg/cos(\theta)[/tex]​
where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the bank angle.
Plug this F back into what you have above, solve for r, use the pythagorean theorem and you're done.

e(ho0n3

1. What is centripetal force in an airplane problem?

Centripetal force is the force that is directed towards the center of a circular motion. In an airplane problem, this force is necessary to maintain the airplane's circular path or turn.

2. How is the centripetal force calculated in an airplane problem?

The centripetal force in an airplane problem can be calculated using the formula F = mv2/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the airplane, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What factors affect the centripetal force in an airplane problem?

The centripetal force in an airplane problem is affected by the speed of the airplane, the mass of the airplane, and the radius of the circular motion. Higher speeds and smaller radii require a greater centripetal force.

4. What happens if there is not enough centripetal force in an airplane problem?

If there is not enough centripetal force in an airplane problem, the airplane will not be able to maintain its circular path and will either fly off in a straight line or lose altitude. This can be dangerous and can lead to accidents.

5. How can the centripetal force be increased in an airplane problem?

The centripetal force in an airplane problem can be increased by increasing the speed of the airplane, decreasing the radius of the circular motion, or increasing the mass of the airplane. These changes will result in a greater centripetal force and allow the airplane to maintain its circular path more easily.