1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal, angular velocity

1. Mar 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How fast (in rpm) must a centrifuge rotate if a particle 7.0 cm from the axis of rotation is to experience an acceleration of 1.2×10^5 g's?

3. The attempt at a solution
    well first i made 7 cm .07 m. then i changed acceleration to 1.18x10^6 m/s^2 by multiplying 1.2x10^5 g's by 9.8. at this point i no longer know what to do.

i am having trouble relating linear velocity, centripetal velocity, and angular velocity now. rpm means centripetal velocity, which is equal to 2πr/T, and i believe its centripetal velocity that equals rω. and acceleration = v^2/r nd i dont know where to go from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2012 #2
    The centripetal acceleration for circular motion is, as you said, v2/r. Since v = ωr (ω is angular velocity), the centripetal acceleration can also be written as: acceleration = ω2r.

If you use your acceleration of 1.18*106 m/s2 and your given radius, you'll get an answer for ω in rads/sec. The answer they're looking for is in revs/minute. You'll have to do a couple unit conversions on your answer to translate it to the right units. Hope that helps.

4. Mar 25, 2012 #3

PeterO

Homework Helper

The centripetal acceleration is not only given by v2/R, but also 4∏2R/T2
    where T is the period.

Frequency - revolutions per second - is the inverse of Period, and revolutions per second should be pretty easy to convert to revolutions per minute

5. Mar 26, 2012 #4
    ok...so using a=4∏^2r/T^2, i solved for T=√(4∏^2r/a)→√(4∏^2(.07)/117600) (the 117600 is 1.2x10^5 times 9.8). so i got T=.0015. next using the equation ω=v/r, i got ω=4099 rps→x60=245880 rpm. which is also wrong. the answer is 39000rpm. but how

6. Mar 26, 2012 #5
    damn i got it, like stated before the answer of 4099 is in rad/sec, which when converted to rpm gives me 39000. damn, thanks guys

7. Mar 26, 2012 #6

PeterO

Homework Helper

The Period is how long it takes to do one revolution - you got 0.0015 sec [rounded off] .

AT that stage I would want to know "How many of them fit into 1 minute (60 Seconds)

so 60 divided by 0.0015 [not rounded off though] and there should be your answer without going via radians and ω !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook