1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal Force acceleration

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    1. A computer is reading data from a rotating CD-ROM. At a point that is 0.0330 m from the center of the disk, the centripetal acceleration is 264 m/s2. What is the centripetal acceleration at a point that is 0.0702 m from the center of the disc?

2. ac=v2/r

3. So my thoughts here are that it should be assumed that the velocity is constant. So I need to fine that velocity for the known radius and acceleration with the equation about. After I find the velocity, I can plug it into the equation with the new radius and find the acceleration that way.
    ac=v2/r
    264=v2/.0330
    v2=8.712 m/s
    v=2.95161 m/s

then plugging that into the equation with the other radius
    ac=v2/r
    ac=8.712/.0702
    ac=124.10256 m/s2

This is not the right answer for my homework though. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Anyone know?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2009 #2
    well...the disc is rotating...so v is NOT constant. However, for constant rotation, angular velocity is constant. Use the relation between that and v, and modify your equation for acceleration.

4. Jan 27, 2009 #3
    ok, I understand now that the velocity is not constant. I don't believe we have covered angular velocity yet in class, unless I am just overlooking it. How do you do that? I did set up a proportion though with the velocity and radius and got it correct.

5. Jan 27, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?