Master Centripetal Force with These Final Questions | Fan & Airplane Examples

In summary, the person is thanking for help after their physics book was stolen. They have two questions about centripetal force, one involving a ventilation fan and the other involving an airplane. They are unsure of where to start and what equations to use, but someone suggests using A_{centripital} = \frac {v^2} {r}. They clarify that v^2 represents the velocity squared and needs to be converted from angular velocity to m/s. For the first question, they calculate the centripetal acceleration as 1 m/s/s and for the second question, they calculate the radius of curvature as 500 m.
wakejosh
first off, thanks for all the help. My physics book got taken when my car got broken into and my backpack was taken. I have an old book and my pages don't coencide with my homework. everyone has been a big help. with that,, i just have two final questions about centripetal force:

1. A ventilation fan has blades 0.25 m long rotating at 2 rad/s.
What is the centripetal
acceleration of a point on the outer tip of a blade?

2. An airplane is a wide sweeping "outside" loop can create zero "g"
(weightlessness) inside
the aircraft cabin. What must be the radius of curvature of the
flight path for an aircraft
moving at 70 m/s to create a condition of "weightlessness" inside
the aircraft?

Im really not sure where to start with these, although I do realize that I need to account for gravity, just not sure what kind of equation I am looking for.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]A_{centripital} = \frac {v^2} {r} [/tex] don't put angular velocity into that either. That should get you started atleast

BishopUser said:
[tex]A_{centripital} = \frac {v^2} {r} [/tex] don't put angular velocity into that either. That should get you started atleast
is the v^2 the velocity squared meaning the rad/s, or do i need to convert that to something else?

rad/s is an angular velocity, you need to somehow convert that into m/s

ok, so for 1 do i do this:

.25m * 2 rad/s = .5

.5^2 / .25 = 1 m/s/s

is this correct for 1?

Last edited:
and for 2:

9.8 = 70^2 / r

r = 500 m

are these correct?

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How is centripetal force calculated?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the role of centripetal force in circular motion?

Centripetal force is essential in circular motion as it ensures that an object stays on its circular path and does not fly off in a straight line tangent to the circle.

4. How can centripetal force be increased?

Centripetal force can be increased by increasing the mass or velocity of the object, or by decreasing the radius of the circular path.

5. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object moving in a circular path. Centrifugal force is not a true force, but rather a result of an object's inertia.