Centripetal Force Lab: Calculation of Centripetal Force and Comparison of Forces

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment using an apparatus to measure centripetal force on a bob attached to a rotating shaft. The time for 25 revolutions was recorded and used to calculate the force. In a subsequent trial, mass was added and a percent difference was calculated. However, the results showed a large percent difference and potential sources of error were discussed. It was recommended to double check calculations, consider sources of error, and consult with an instructor for guidance.
chrisfnet

Homework Statement

In this experiment, we used an apparatus that had a shaft that could be rotated with a bob attached. The bob was connected by a string and a spring to the shaft. The shaft was rotated so that the bob would be moving at a fixed distance away from the shaft. This fixed distance was equivalent to the radius of the circular path of motion. The time that it took for the bob to pass the needle (in other words, one full revolution) 25 times was recorded. This time, after being adjusted to account for only one revolution, along with the fixed distance (radius), was used to calculate the centripetal force on the bob. In the next portion of the experiment, a string was connected to the bob and passed over a pulley. Mass was hung from the string until the spring connecting the bob to the shaft stretched enough so that the bob was situated directly over the needle. The force on the bob in this instance was also calculated and then a percent difference calculation between the forces was made. In subsequent trials, mass is added to the bob and the needle is moved further away from the shaft which requires the shaft to be spun at a faster rate to compensate.

Homework Equations

m1 = 0.1454kg = mass of the bob
r = 17cm = 0.17m = radius of circular motion
t1 = 17.96s = first trial of 25 revolutions
t2 = 17.67s = second trial of 25 revolutions
t3 = 17.55s = third trial of 25 revolutions
t_average=(17.96s+17.67s+17.55s)/3=17.73s = average of 25 revolutions
m2 = mhanger + mweights = 0.0694kg + 0.560kg = 0.6294kg = mass of hanger + weights to exert force to pull bob to r

The Attempt at a Solution

t= t_average/25=17.73s/25=0.7092s = average time per revolution
v=2πr/t=(2π∙0.17m)/0.7092s=1.50(m )⁄s = velocity of bob
F_1=(m_1 v^2)/r=(0.1454kg ∙〖〖 1.50 m⁄s〗^2〗^2)/0.17m=1.92N = centripetal force of bob motion
F_2=m_2 g=0.6294kg ∙ 9.8m/s^2 = 6.17N = force (of tension?) exerted by mass of hanger + weights
% Difference=200|F_1- F_2 |/(F_1+ F_2 )= 200|1.92N- 6.17N|/(1.92N+ 6.17N)=105.07%

We, I'm assuming, are supposed to have a low percent difference here. In all three of our trials, our percent errors are enormous. I have no idea why... anyone? :(

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your experiment and calculations. I would like to provide some feedback and suggestions to help improve your results.

First, I would recommend double checking your calculations to ensure that there are no errors in the values you are using. This could be a simple mistake in converting units or a typo in one of the values.

Next, it is important to consider any potential sources of error in your experiment. For example, is the apparatus accurately measuring the radius of the circular motion and the time of each revolution? Are there any external factors, such as air resistance, that could affect the results?

Additionally, it may be helpful to repeat the experiment multiple times and take the average of those results to reduce the impact of any random errors.

Finally, I would suggest consulting with your instructor or a lab supervisor to review your experiment and calculations. They may be able to provide specific guidance and help troubleshoot any issues.

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment!

I would first make sure that all of the measurements and calculations were done accurately and without any errors. I would also double check the apparatus and make sure it was functioning properly. If there were any discrepancies or errors, I would repeat the experiment to see if the results were consistent.

If everything was done correctly and the results are still showing a high percent difference, there could be several factors at play. One possibility is that there could be external forces acting on the apparatus, such as air resistance or friction, that are affecting the results. These forces should be minimized as much as possible to get more accurate results.

Another factor could be human error in recording the data or in manipulating the apparatus. It is important to follow proper procedures and to be consistent in the experiment to minimize these errors.

Lastly, it is also possible that the theory being used to calculate the centripetal force is not applicable in this situation. It is important to understand the limitations of the theory and to consider any other factors that may be affecting the results.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would carefully analyze the experiment and consider all possible factors that could be contributing to the high percent difference. By making adjustments and repeating the experiment if necessary, we can ensure more accurate and reliable results.

1. What is a centripetal force?

A centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object moving in a curved path instead of moving in a straight line.

2. How is centripetal force measured in a lab?

In a centripetal force lab, centripetal force can be measured by using a spring scale or a force sensor to measure the tension in a string or the force acting on an object as it moves in a circular path.

3. What factors can affect the strength of centripetal force?

The strength of centripetal force can be affected by the mass of the object, the speed at which it is moving, and the radius of the circular path it is moving in. It is also influenced by the force of gravity and any other external forces acting on the object.

4. How does the centripetal force lab relate to real-world applications?

The concept of centripetal force is important in understanding how objects move in circular motions, such as the orbit of planets around the sun or the motion of a car around a curved road. It also has practical applications in designing amusement park rides and other machinery that involves circular motion.

5. What are some potential sources of error in a centripetal force lab?

Potential sources of error in a centripetal force lab include the accuracy of the equipment used to measure the force, the friction between the string and the object, and the air resistance acting on the object. The precision of the measurements and human error can also contribute to inaccuracies in the results.