1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal force on table.

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    hi guys i need help solvign the following problem.

A mass 1kg on a frictionless table is attached to a hanging mass 4kg by a cord through a hole in the table. Find the frequency with which 1KG mass must move for 4kg to stay at rest, if the radius of the circle is 75m.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9601/phyp.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

m(v2/R

v = 2piR/T

T = 1/f

ac = 4pi * R/ T2
    3. The attempt at a solution

Well i dont really know where to start as there is no angle given so i found the circumference first. which is 4.71 or 471 cm.

I think that is useless because i dont know what to do with it. I know i need to find ac first before i can find the frequency right?

So can someone give me a hit on the first step or where to start?

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

This is more of a force problem than a harmonic motion problem. Try writing out Newton's second law for both the 1 kg mass and the 4 kg mass. Remember that for an object moving in a circle at speed v, acceleration=v^2/r. Also note that the tension in any massless rope is constant throughout the rope.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook