Centripetal Force Problem: Calculating Speed of a Model Airplane on a String"

In summary, a person is trying to find the speed of an 82 g model airplane flying in a horizontal circular path on the end of an 11m long horizontal string. The string exerts a force of 3.22N on the person's hand. Using the formula force=mass x velocity^2 /radius, the person attempted to solve the problem using vector components and found the hypotenuse, but the solution manual only substituted the variables in the formula without playing with any components. The weight of the plane should not be considered in this problem.
Haniszmi

Homework Statement

A person is flying an 82 g model airplane in a horizontal circular path on the end of
a string 11m long. The string is also horizontal (ideal situation). It exerts a force of
3.22N on the hand of the person holding it. What is the speed of the plane?

Homework Equations

Force(c)=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the problem by using vector components. 3.22N was the force acting on the arm to the right and the other component was the force of gravity which was N=mg, 803.6N acting down. I used pyth. theorem to find the hypotenuse. Then i go to the solution manual to see if I did my work correctly so far and it turns out that they just substituted all the variables in the formula and got the answer without playing with any components. Why is this so? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Haniszmi said:

Homework Statement

A person is flying an 82 g model airplane in a horizontal circular path on the end of
a string 11m long. The string is also horizontal (ideal situation). It exerts a force of

Homework Equations

Force(c)=mv^2/r

I did the problem by using vector components. 3.22N was the force acting on the arm to the right and the other component was the force of gravity which was N=mg, 803.6N acting down. I used pyth. theorem to find the hypotenuse. Then i go to the solution manual to see if I did my work correctly so far and it turns out that they just substituted all the variables in the formula and got the answer without playing with any components. Why is this so? Please help!

The weight of the plane has nothing to do with the force on the hand. The force on the hand is coming from the string. The string is horizontal. So only the force along the string is what counts and that is mv2/R

Note also: The plane is given as grams not kg.

Haniszmi said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Force(c)=mv^2/r

The problem states that the string is horizontal and that the airplane path is in a horizontal circle (ideal situation). But as long as there is mass at the end of the string, it can never be truly horizontal, because the weight tof the mass will pull the string down a bit from the horizontal. The problem is asking you to ignore this effect.

Awesome thanks guys!

1. What is centripetal force and how does it work?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's circular motion. This force is caused by a combination of the object's velocity and the inward pull of the object's surroundings.

2. How is centripetal force calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = mv^2/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

3. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some examples of centripetal force in everyday life include the motion of a car around a curve, the spinning of a washing machine, and the orbit of planets around the sun.

4. How does centripetal force relate to centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle, just like centripetal force. The two are related through the equation a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

5. Can centripetal force cause an object to move in a straight line?

No, centripetal force is necessary to keep an object moving in a circular path. Without it, the object would move in a straight line due to its inertia. Centripetal force is constantly changing the direction of the object's motion, keeping it in a circular path.