1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal Force problem

1. Mar 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

To simulate gravity, a circular space station with a radius of 150 m is rotated so that astronauts standing on the inner surface move at 30 m/s. If the 75 kg astronaut stands on a bathroom scale, what reading will it give? (Assume that the scale is calibrated in Newtons)

I'm confident with my answer, however, am not quite sure how to "word it". The area I lack confidence in is my ability to properly express myself through mathematics. Any tips that could help me build intuition on proper "writing" conventions would be truly appreciated.

2. Relevant equations

Fc = m v2 / r

3. The attempt at a solution

Fc = m v2 / r

Fc = (75) (30)2 / 150

Fc = 450 N

The scale would read 450 N

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2015 #2
    The answer is correct.
    Draw the Free body diagram.

astro.png
    Here the only force acting on the Astronaut is the normal reaction. This Normal reaction provides the centripetal force required to move astronaut in a circular motion. So ##N=\frac{mv^{2}}{R}##. Also the weight is nothing but the reactionary force acting on the body from a ground.
    So its weight is equal to ##N## which is equal to ##\frac{mv^{2}}{R}##.:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted