Understanding Centripetal Force: Exploring its Relationship with Static Force

In summary, during a lab experiment on centripetal acceleration, a spring mass mechanism was used to calculate the centripetal force. To compare this with the static force required, the mechanism was hung on a stand and weight was added to stretch the spring to the same index point. It was observed that the centripetal force required was higher than the static force, which was not discussed in the lab but can be understood by drawing force diagrams and considering the direction of velocity and acceleration. This tip of using force diagrams is useful for solving mechanics problems.
Havoc2020
We recently did an experiment in lab on centripetal acceleration. We used a spring mass mechanism and used the data we collected to compute the centripetal force. We then had to hang the spring mechanism on a stand then add weight to stretch the spring to the same index point and calculate the static force required.

So my question is why is the centripetal force required higher than the static force to stretch the spring the same distance?

Any help will be appreciated as this was not discussed in lab and we have just started the chapter on circular motion.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
think of the forces involved. try drawing a force diagram for both cases, i.e. for in motion and the static case. can you see why the in motion case would require a stronger magnitude force?

OK I drew the force diagrams and my assumption is that the force is greater for centripetal because the velocity is perpendicular to the acceleration whereas in the static force the velocity and acceleration are in the same direction.

awesome, that's right.

Thanks for the help. Drawing the force diagrams made it pretty clear.

for mechanics problems, it's the best advice i can give. usually with a good picture, any problem may be solved. awesome work.

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular path instead of a straight line.

What is the formula for centripetal force?

The formula for centripetal force is F = mv²/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What causes centripetal force?

Centripetal force is caused by the inward pull of an object towards the center of a circular path. In most cases, this is due to the tension in a string or the force of gravity.

What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in a rotating frame of reference. Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather a result of the inertia of the object.

How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is essential for circular motion because it provides the necessary inward force to keep an object moving in a circular path. Without centripetal force, an object would continue moving in a straight line according to Newton's first law of motion.