Calculating Normal Force on a Roller-Coaster Car Over a Circular Hill

In summary: Can't wait until I can relax today...In summary, a roller-coaster car with a mass of 1290 kg and fully loaded with passengers passes over the top of a circular hill of radius 20 m with a constant speed of 9.3 m/s. The normal force (using the negative sign for the downward direction) on the car from the track is 18221N. For a speed of 18 m/s, the normal force is 33540N. The normal force is not equal to the centripetal force as the forces acting on the car are the weight and normal force, yielding the centripetal force, which is the net force. The net force must always act inward to the center of the circle
MFlood7356
1. A roller-coaster car has a mass of 1290 kg when fully loaded with passengers. As the car passes over the top of a circular hill of radius 20 m, its speed is not changing. (a) At the top of the hill, what is the normal force (using the negative sign for the downward direction) FN on the car from the track if the car's speed is v = 9.3 m/s? (b) What is FN if v = 18 m/s?

2. F=mv2/r

3. I thought this was going to be a really simple question but apparently I can't figure out the answer. Here's what I did

a) F=1290(9.3)2/20 = 5580N but for the answer I put -5580N cause of the part that says using the negative sign for the downward direction. I thought that was right

b) F=1290(18)2/20 = 20900N but I changed it to -20900N for the same reason above.

Physics news on Phys.org
The normal force is not equal to the centripetal force. The forces acting on car are the weight and Normal force, yielding the centripetal force, which is the net force.

Oh so would I find the weight now and subtract them?

No. Create a free body diagram and find the sum of the vertical forces, noting that the weight is in the negative direction and the normal force is in the positive direction. Then set that expression equal to the centripetal force. Then solve for the normal force.

The normal force is in the positive direction, so you should have a non-negative answer.

So it should look like this?
(1290(9.32)/20)+(1290*9.8)=18221N
(1290(182)/20)+(1290*9.8)=33540N

Sorry if I'm being annoying I'm on my last attempt for my online homework so I want to make sure it's correct before I submit it.

I'm looking over the problem again. Is the car traveling over the circle, or is it at the top of a vertical circle on the track, but underneath the track. (See attachment for clarification)

I assumed the bottom case, but if it's the top case, then the normal force and the weight are both negative, in which case -Fc=-W-N, which can be simplified to Fc=W+N. (Just know that your answer will be negative, because it's in a downward direction.)

The wording is kind of ambiguous, but "over the top of a circular hill" makes it look like the bottom case as we originally worked out the problem. If that is the case, then we both got the same results.

Attachments

• problem diagram.PNG
    problem diagram.PNG
    600 bytes · Views: 394
Last edited:
So now were back to this as the answer?
(1290(9.32)/20)-(1290*9.8)= -7063N
(1290(182)/20)-(1290*9.8)= 8256N

It's dependent on what the problem actually is...I think the answer is your 6:02 post, but since you have to turn the problem in, I don't want to cause you to give an incorrect answer based on my reading of the problem. Does it give any more information?

I think that the car is on top of the track, in which case the weight would be downwards, and the normal force would be upwards.

Hopefully, either a recognized Homework Helper or a PF Mentor can weigh in before it's due.

Sorry...

Well here's a hint that I get from Wiley Plus

Write Newton's second law for forces along a vertical y axis. Is the (centripetal) acceleration up or down? What is the gravitational force? (For safety, the car has wheels both above and below the track.)

What is the exact wording of the problem?

I'm 90% sure that the car is traveling over, so that N=W+Fc, in which case the answer would be your: (1290(9.32)/20)+(1290*9.8)=18221N
(1290(182)/20)+(1290*9.8)=33540N.

Last edited:
The exact wording is what is above for the question. Alright if youre sure I'll try it out.

I'm pretty sure it's right. I copied it incorrectly, so remember the speed is squared...

Well you copied my answers and that's all that matters you know

Well, let me know how it turns out.

jhae2.718 said:
I'm pretty sure it's right. I copied it incorrectly, so remember the speed is squared...
i think you're mixing up your plus and minus signs. At the top of the circle, the centripetal acceleration acts down, and therefore, the net force acts down. Calculate the coasters weight, then determine the normal force such that the net force acts down. What's the direction of the normal force in each case? Note the safety feature.

Nope it was wrong :(

PhanthomJay said:
i think you're mixing up your plus and minus signs. At the top of the circle, the centripetal acceleration acts down, and therefore, the net force acts down. Calculate the coasters weight, then determine the normal force such that the net force acts down. What's the direction of the normal force in each case? Note the safety feature.

Hmm, the original post with the problem didn't mention any safety features, so I discounted that...

That said, you are much more well-qualified than I am, so perhaps you can see what I left out for MFlood7356...

Yeah, without that safety feature for part 2 with the coaster speeding at 18m/s, it would leave the tracks and head for parts unknown.

The net force is the centripetal force, and was calculated correctly for part 1. Let's round it off to 5,000. The net force must always act inward to the center of the circle, Since the coasters weight is about 12,000 down , then the normal force must be about 7,000 up. For part 2, the net force is say 20,000 down. Since the coaster weight is still 12,000, the normal force must be about 8000 down. Safety feature required in order for the track to exert a downward force on the coaster to keep it on track.. I'm using round numbers, not actual numbers.

I know; I just realized the mistake in the advice I gave him...

I think I've done too much today; I'm making mistakes I normally don't.

What is normal force?

Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and acts to support the weight of the object.

How is normal force calculated on a roller-coaster car over a circular hill?

Normal force can be calculated using Newton's second law, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. In the case of a roller-coaster car on a circular hill, the normal force is equal to the car's weight minus the centrifugal force.

What factors affect the normal force on a roller-coaster car over a circular hill?

The normal force on a roller-coaster car over a circular hill is affected by the car's weight, the car's speed, and the radius of the circular hill. As the car's weight or speed increases, the normal force also increases. As the radius of the circular hill decreases, the normal force also decreases.

What is the relationship between normal force and centripetal force on a roller-coaster car over a circular hill?

Normal force and centripetal force are equal but opposite forces acting on a roller-coaster car on a circular hill. Normal force acts in the opposite direction of the car's weight, while centripetal force acts towards the center of the circular path. Together, these forces keep the car on the track and prevent it from flying off.

How does the normal force affect the ride experience on a roller-coaster?

The normal force on a roller-coaster car affects the ride experience by creating the sensation of weightlessness and G-forces. As the car goes over a circular hill, the normal force decreases, causing the riders to feel lighter and experience a brief moment of weightlessness. As the car goes through a loop, the normal force increases, causing riders to feel heavier and experience G-forces. This variation in normal force adds to the thrill and excitement of the ride.