Centripetal force vs. weight

In summary, the speaker is discussing the process of forming a utility pole using a mould and a lathe. They need to create a box-shaped hole in the pole and are trying to determine the proper weight for the box to counterbalance the weight of the concrete. They are seeking guidance on how to calculate the difference in weight needed for counterbalance when the weight is on the outside of the mould.
lwasmund
I am forming a concrete utility pole centripetaly in the mould (lathe). I need to have it form with an aperature(box shaped hole). I need to place a box to form the hole for the aperature and it needs to be of proper weight. the weight the concrete would of been had there been no aperture. It is best if i place the box in without it being of the desired weight, and counter balance it on the outside of the mould. My question is would the wieght needed to counterbalance the pole when spinning need to be different then the aproximated weight of the concrete(403lbs). Since the weight is on the outside of the mould?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I understand a little about physics. My main study is civil eng. I am looking for the factor that I can add to my equation to calculate for the difference with the counterbalance being on the outside. think of a ball on a string. except no the ball isn't on a string but held in orbit by the perimeter. How much mass/weight do I need to counterbalance. When it is to counter 403lbs of misplaced concrete.

I would first clarify that the term "centripetal force" refers to the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In this case, the centripetal force would be provided by the lathe as it spins the concrete pole. The weight of the pole and the box would also play a role in determining the centripetal force required to keep it in motion.

To answer your question, the weight needed to counterbalance the pole when spinning would indeed be different from the approximated weight of the concrete. This is because the weight of the box and its contents would also contribute to the overall weight that needs to be balanced. Additionally, the placement of the weight on the outside of the mould would also affect the distribution of the centripetal force.

In order to ensure the stability and balance of the concrete pole while spinning, it would be important to accurately calculate the combined weight of the pole and the box and adjust the counterbalancing weight accordingly. This can be done by considering the dimensions and weight of the box, as well as the distribution of the weight on the outside of the mould.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider the weight and distribution of all components involved in order to achieve the desired result of a properly formed pole with an aperture.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How is centripetal force related to weight?

Centripetal force and weight are not directly related. Weight is the force of gravity acting on an object, while centripetal force is the force required to keep an object moving in a circular path. However, the weight of an object may play a role in determining the amount of centripetal force needed to keep it in circular motion.

3. How does centripetal force affect an object's motion?

Centripetal force causes an object to continuously change direction, allowing it to move in a circular path. Without centripetal force, an object would continue to move in a straight line.

4. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of a circle, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that an object feels when it is moving in a circular path. Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather a result of the inertia of an object trying to resist changes in its motion.

5. How can centripetal force be calculated?

The amount of centripetal force needed to keep an object in circular motion can be calculated using the formula F = mv²/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.