Understanding Centripetal Force on Rollercoasters

In summary: In order to calculate the centripetal acceleration, you must divide the net force by the mass of the object.
AznBoi
Well, I was just browsing through this website:http://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/circmot/rcd.html

it explains stuff about the centripetal force, but how come for a rollercoaster, you add the normal force and gravity force to come up with the net force or the centripetal force?

Could you also take the tangential velocities of the cart and subtract V_f by V_i to get the inward acceleration that the cart experiences?

I know that they want to find the net force, but why don't they consider the tangential veolcities vectors also? Why do they only add the normal force and gravity? Doesn't the rollercoaster cart have a constantly changing velocity also?

Wait, velocity is not a force right? Are the only forces the cart experiences the norm and gravity? I think I made a mistake in the last paragraph.. I remember from Newton's laws that objects do not require a force to cause it to move, is this why there isn't a x component force acting on the cart? Thanks for your help! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Just remember that F=ma and it's hard to go wrong. When you are on or near the surface of the Earth, then you have to list the force due to the acceleration of gravity. And you then add in any forces that are causing changes in velocity (centripital or otherwise). Does that help clear things up some?

AznBoi said:
Well, I was just browsing through this website:http://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/circmot/rcd.html

it explains stuff about the centripetal force, but how come for a rollercoaster, you add the normal force and gravity force to come up with the net force or the centripetal force?
Think about the net force in the vertical direction.
Could you also take the tangential velocities of the cart and subtract V_f by V_i to get the inward acceleration that the cart experiences?
V_f - V_i? That's a velocity.

Here is an analogy that may help you understand what is going on. Say that you are walking in a circle. You are walking at constant speed. You are accelerating in the radial direction (centripetal acceleration).

Say that you break into a run, but you're still running into a circle. As you start running faster and faster, you are accelerating tangentially. Once you stop running faster, though, it's back to just radial acceleration.

The formula for finding centripetal acceleration is [itex]\frac{v^2}{R}[/itex], so you can find the centripetal acceleration from the linear (tangential) velocity.

Most of this circular motion stuff is just geometry, so if you can understand the geometric arguments everything makes more sense.
Wait, velocity is not a force right? Are the only forces the cart experiences the norm and gravity? I think I made a mistake in the last paragraph..
Velocity is not a force.

I think I was getting the centripetal acceleration (it's a vector right? when you subtract V_f from V_i and divide it by t)<--[wait of course it is a vector because V is a vector lol] confused with the net force which causes the centripetal acceleration right?

Does Newton's second law state that an object with an acceleration has to be experiencing a net force in the same direction as the accleration? Yeah I think that's what confused me, the net force compared to the centripetal accelerationg. So what you do to get the centripetal acceleration if you have the net force of an object moving in a circular motion is divide the force by the mass of the object?

Hmm.. I think this is all making sense now. So if you have two forces, the normal and gravity force, you can determine the net force. Therefore, you can also determine the centripetal acceleration right? By dividing the net force by the mass?? Thanks again! :smile:

Centripetel force is the one which acts in the radial direction to a circle

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain an object's circular motion.

2. How does centripetal force apply to rollercoasters?

Rollercoasters use centripetal force to keep passengers safely in their seats as the coaster moves along its track. The force exerted by the track on the coaster's wheels provides the necessary centripetal force to keep the coaster on its circular path.

3. What factors affect the centripetal force on a rollercoaster?

The speed of the rollercoaster, the mass of the coaster and its passengers, and the radius of the circular track all affect the amount of centripetal force required to keep the coaster moving along its path. A higher speed or smaller radius will require a greater centripetal force.

4. How does centripetal force impact the safety of a rollercoaster?

Centripetal force is essential for the safety of rollercoaster riders. Without this force, the coaster could potentially fly off the track or cause passengers to be thrown from their seats. Designers must carefully consider the necessary centripetal force when creating and testing rollercoasters to ensure the safety of riders.

5. Can centripetal force be adjusted on a rollercoaster?

Yes, centripetal force can be adjusted on a rollercoaster by changing the speed, mass, or radius of the track. For example, a smaller radius or higher speed will require a greater centripetal force to maintain the coaster's circular motion. Designers can use these variables to create different levels of excitement and intensity for riders.