Centripetal Force: Distance b/w Centers or Surfaces?

In summary: The dog rocketed over to the moon and landed there. What escape velocity (from the surface of the moon) did the dog need for his return trip to Earth?The dog needed an escape velocity of 5.8 x 10^8 m/s to return to Earth.
BassMaster
When doing problems involving centripetal force, using the equation:

F = mv^2/r ,

is r the distance between the centers of the two masses or is it the distance between the surfaces?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I am not mistaken, it refers to the distance between the centers of mass of the two objects.

It is between the centers of the objects.

Okay, but here's my problem. I'm given the radius of the Earth (one of the masses), but not the radius of the doghouse (the other mass). I AM given the distance between the two objects. So is radius of the doghouse so small that it is insignificant?

If so, do I just add the radius of the Earth and the distance between the doghouse and the Earth for the value of 'r'?

Can you give me the full text for the problem? But I will think that it is.

It's for a lab so I can't write it exactly as it is or it will make no sense. I'll try my best:

A doghouse has a mass of 150 kg. The mass of the Earth is 5.98 x 10^24 kg. The radius of the Earth is 6.28 x 10^8 m. What is the kinetic energy of the doghouse in orbit at 500 km above the earth?

I'm assuming you do Fg=Fc (force of gravity = centripital force) because the object is in orbit. So mg=mv^2/r.

Solve for the speed, and then use that in the equation Ek = 0.5mv^2

Once again, my only problem is that I don't know whether to include the radius of the Earth in 'r', especially because the radius of the doghouse isn't given.

BassMaster said:
It's for a lab so I can't write it exactly as it is or it will make no sense. I'll try my best:

A doghouse has a mass of 150 kg. The mass of the Earth is 5.98 x 10^24 kg. The radius of the Earth is 6.28 x 10^8 m. What is the kinetic energy of the doghouse in orbit at 500 km above the earth?

I'm assuming you do Fg=Fc (force of gravity = centripital force) because the object is in orbit. So mg=mv^2/r.

Solve for the speed, and then use that in the equation Ek = 0.5mv^2

Once again, my only problem is that I don't know whether to include the radius of the Earth in 'r', especially because the radius of the doghouse isn't given.

A doghouse in orbit above the earth? Sounds a bit weird! Anyway, like you suggest, the radius of the doghouse won't matter as it is neglibile compared to the other two distances. You will need to include the radius of the Earth though!

just as you do it, and yes the radius of the doghouse is insignificant.

Alright, thanks a lot guys.

no prob. someday it will be your turn to help me.

Oh, one more thing. The next question is asking:

A dog rocketed over to the moon and landed there. What escape velocity (from the surface of the moon) did the dog need for his return trip to Earth?

Do you just use the equation for escape velocity or is there some trick to this question? Because isn't escape velocity the minimum speed required to escape the gravitational field, but doesn't the dog also have to return to earth?

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It keeps the object moving in a curved path rather than a straight line.

2. What is the formula for calculating centripetal force?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = (mv²)/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. How does distance between centers or surfaces affect centripetal force?

The distance between centers or surfaces does not directly affect centripetal force. The force is dependent on the mass, velocity, and radius of the circular path, not the distance between centers or surfaces.

4. How is centripetal force related to centrifugal force?

Centripetal force and centrifugal force are an action-reaction pair. Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the outward force that appears to act on the object due to its inertia.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some examples of centripetal force in everyday life include a car turning a corner, a satellite orbiting the Earth, and a washing machine spinning clothes. Any circular motion requires a centripetal force to keep the object moving in that path.