• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Centripetal Force

• Thread starter eddyy08
  • Start date
A ball is swung around in a vertical circle at constant speed. Where is the ball when the tension in the rope is at maximum / minimum?
I know where the ball is, how would I explain it?

LowlyPion

Homework Helper
A ball is swung around in a vertical circle at constant speed. Where is the ball when the tension in the rope is at maximum / minimum?
I know where the ball is, how would I explain it?
Welcome to PF.

So where is it at its maximum tension?

Thank you -
at maximum tension its at the bottom of the circle

LowlyPion

Homework Helper
Thank you -
at maximum tension its at the bottom of the circle
And when you draw a picture at the bottom what forces are acting on the object that tend to make the tension maximum?

Force of gravity, centripetal acceleration toward the center of the circle, and probably something else

LowlyPion

Homework Helper
Force of gravity, centripetal acceleration toward the center of the circle, and probably something else
The centripetal acceleration of the object is toward the center, but it's caused by the tension pulling up, making the object describe a circular path isn't it? What else is the tension pulling up for - weight? So those two together ...

Is there anything else that you think is acting on the object? I don't see it based on your statement of the problem.