1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal Force

1. Mar 29, 2009 #1
    A ball is swung around in a vertical circle at constant speed. Where is the ball when the tension in the rope is at maximum / minimum?
    I know where the ball is, how would I explain it?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

So where is it at its maximum tension?

4. Mar 29, 2009 #3
    Thank you -
    at maximum tension its at the bottom of the circle

5. Mar 29, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

And when you draw a picture at the bottom what forces are acting on the object that tend to make the tension maximum?

6. Mar 29, 2009 #5
    Force of gravity, centripetal acceleration toward the center of the circle, and probably something else

7. Mar 29, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

The centripetal acceleration of the object is toward the center, but it's caused by the tension pulling up, making the object describe a circular path isn't it? What else is the tension pulling up for - weight? So those two together ...

Is there anything else that you think is acting on the object? I don't see it based on your statement of the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook