1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal force

1. Jan 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The centripetal force acting on an object is doubled. The radius is also doubled. The speed of the object:

(a) increases by a factor of 4
    (b) increases by a factor of 2
    (c) decreases by a factor of 2
    (d) The change in the object's speed depends on its mass

2. Relevant equations
    F = mv2/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    So if I substitute 2's in for F and r in the above equation, my 2's cancel but the correct answer is a. ???

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do a numerical example....

4. Jan 30, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not happy with the wording of the question. Centripetal force does not act. It is the force required to be supplied by forces which do act in order to produce a certain motion.
    Anyway, I don't get how the 2's would cancel. (Not that I necessarily agree with the supposed answer.). Please post detailed working.

5. Jan 30, 2015 #4
    I am sorry; an erroneous math calculation. By substituting 2 for both the force and the radius, I get 4 which is (a). Thank you!

6. Jan 30, 2015 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you still show your calculation ? It doesn't fit at all.

7. Jan 30, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As I hinted, I disagree with that answer. Looks like BvU disagrees with it too.

8. Jan 30, 2015 #7
    Sorry everyone! That's what happens when you don't read the answer choices correctly! Okay here is the original question: the centripetal force acting on an object is doubled. The radius of the object's motion is also doubled. The speed of the object is:
    (A) increases by a factor of
    (B) increases by a factor of 2
    (C) decreases by a factor of 2
    (D) the change in the object's speed depends on its mass.

Fc = mv2/r. If I plug in 2 for F and r, I get 2 = mv2/2 = 4 = mv2. Therefore, the correct answer is (B) increases by a factor of 2! Thanks everyone!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted