Centripetal Force: Normal Contact Force & Velocity

In summary: This means that the road must be banked and the vehicle must be moving in a path that curves up away from the surface. If the road is flat, the vehicle would need to lift off the road in order for the normal force to act as the centripetal force. Any force that has a component toward or away from the center of the circular path contributes to the centripetal force.
cloveryeah
if the centripetal force can be only provided by normal contact force.

centripetal velocity is Vs. If V<Vs, then it will lose contact of the road?
Or it will lose contact when n=0? Or when n<0?

THX

Physics news on Phys.org
What are V and n?
Is this homework?

no it is not

v is just the velocity of the object and n is the normal force

i m just confusing on this concept

cloveryeah said:
n is the normal force
On a flat road, the normal force cannot act as the centripetal force.

i mean at a road that have inclination

cloveryeah said:
In order for the normal force to be a centripetal force, the vehicle would need to be moving in a path that curves up away from the surface. If the road is flat, that means that the vehicle would need to lift off the road, even if the road were flat, but inclined.

["Flat" as A.T. intended it means that the road must stay in a single plane. In other words, it cannot curve vertically]

cloveryeah said:
Draw yourself a free-body (i.e. force) diagram for a car on an inclined, curved road. If the situation is what I think it is, there should be 3 forces: gravitational, normal force, and frictional force.

Any force that has a component toward or away from the center of the circular path contributes to the centripetal force.

cloveryeah said:
By this, do you mean that the road is banked?

Chet

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, pulling it towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping an object in circular motion and preventing it from flying off in a straight line.

2. What is the relationship between centripetal force and velocity?

The relationship between centripetal force and velocity is inverse. This means that as the velocity of an object increases, the centripetal force required to keep it in circular motion also increases. Similarly, if the velocity decreases, the centripetal force required decreases as well.

3. What is the role of normal contact force in centripetal force?

Normal contact force is the force that acts perpendicular to the surface of an object. In the context of centripetal force, normal contact force is responsible for providing the centripetal force required to keep an object in circular motion. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the centripetal force.

4. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is essential for circular motion. Without it, an object would continue moving in a straight line instead of following a circular path. Centripetal force is constantly changing in magnitude and direction, keeping the object in circular motion.

5. Can centripetal force be greater than the normal contact force?

Yes, centripetal force can be greater than the normal contact force. In fact, it must be greater in order for an object to maintain circular motion. If the centripetal force is not greater than the normal contact force, the object would not be able to overcome the force of gravity and would fall towards the center of the circle.