Centripetal Force: Explaining Why Satellites Orbit the Earth

In summary, the satellite orbits the Earth due to the gravitational force of the Earth. The satellite experiences a force towards the center of the Earth and is constantly accelerating, but it remains in a circular orbit because of the approximation of the orbit.
Michael123
Hi, I'm currently studying Physics for my GCSEs and I'm revising for them but the textbooks only explain what happens but not why.

I know that centripetal force is the force requirement for an object to move round in a circle. But I don't see why this is the case for satellites orbitting the earth. The gravity is pulling the object inwards yet the object moves in a circle... why is this? The satellite is moving at a steady speed which keeps it following the orbit path but is there anything that caused this speed initiate? Because when someone jumps off a building they'll fall straight to the ground rather than orbit the Earth at high speed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Michael123 said:
Hi, I'm currently studying Physics for my GCSEs and I'm revising for them but the textbooks only explain what happens but not why.

I know that centripetal force is the force requirement for an object to move round in a circle. But I don't see why this is the case for satellites orbitting the earth. The gravity is pulling the object inwards yet the object moves in a circle... why is this? The satellite is moving at a steady speed which keeps it following the orbit path but is there anything that caused this speed initiate? Because when someone jumps off a building they'll fall straight to the ground rather than orbit the Earth at high speed.
Welcome to the forums,

When the satellite was launched, it was done so such that it had some tangential velocity. This tangential velocity was calculated to allow the satellite to obtain the required orbit at a certain height above the earth. Now, it is the gravitational attraction between the Earth and the satellite which provides the centripetal force which is required for circular motion. So the satellite, although it experiences a force toward the centre of the Earth and is constantly accelerating toward earth, remains in a circular orbit.

Note that the circular orbit is just an approximation; generally the satellite orbits are elliptical like those of the planets. I hope that made sense :smile:

Great explanation, thanks!

1. What is centripetal force and how does it relate to satellites orbiting the Earth?

Centripetal force is a force that acts on a body moving in a circular path, directing it towards the center of the circle. In the case of satellites orbiting the Earth, the centripetal force is provided by the gravitational pull of the Earth. This force keeps the satellite in its circular orbit around the Earth.

2. How is centripetal force calculated for satellites orbiting the Earth?

The centripetal force acting on a satellite in orbit can be calculated using the equation F = (mv²)/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the satellite, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the orbit.

3. Why do satellites orbit the Earth rather than flying off into space?

The gravitational force between the satellite and the Earth acts as the centripetal force, keeping the satellite in its orbit. This force is constantly pulling the satellite towards the center of the Earth, preventing it from flying off into space.

4. How does the altitude of a satellite's orbit affect the centripetal force acting on it?

The altitude of a satellite's orbit affects the centripetal force acting on it because it determines the distance between the satellite and the center of the Earth. The higher the altitude, the larger the radius of the orbit and thus, the smaller the centripetal force required to keep the satellite in orbit.

5. Can satellites orbit the Earth in a circular orbit without any external forces?

No, satellites cannot orbit the Earth in a circular orbit without any external forces. In order to maintain a circular orbit, a satellite requires a constant centripetal force, which is provided by the gravitational pull of the Earth. Without this force, the satellite would either fly off into space or crash into the Earth.