Centripetal Force: Poll, Rope, Cart & 80kg Person

In summary: So, in summary, the relationship between the centripetal force and (v^2/r) is linear, as shown by the equation y = mx. This is because the centripetal force is equal to the mass times the centripetal acceleration, which is equivalent to v^2/r. When plotted on a graph, the line has a slope of m, showing the linear relationship between the two variables.
UrbanXrisis
Lets say there was a poll in the middle of the ground and a 2m rope attached to it. Attached to the rope was a cart that sat a 80kg person. The person had a constant force being exerted on them so they the person went in a circle. There is a spring scale attached to the rope and poll to show the spring scale force. What would be the relationship between this spring scale force and the centripetal force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the cart massless? Is there an angle between the ground and the rope?

massless cart, parallel between ground and rope

actually, I think I am supposed to find the relationship between the centripetal force and v^2/r

Well, if that's the case, then you know [tex]v^2/r[/tex] is equal to the centripetal acceleration. By Newton's Second Law, you know that [tex]F=ma[/tex]. That should be enough for you to finish the problem on your own.

I need to plot a graph of (v^2/r) vs Centripetal force. There is a linear relationship, why is that?

maybe it's just me, but I understand all these concepts already. However, it might just be the way the question is worded. All that's different between v^2/r and the centripetal force is that the centripetal force has a mass multiplied into it. The problem asks for is the "functional relationship." Cf=v^2/r times the mass. I thought it was asking for something more than that

Its the same as asking you to plot F vs a, a is just determined differently in this case.

UrbanXrisis said:
I need to plot a graph of (v^2/r) vs Centripetal force. There is a linear relationship, why is that?

You know that C = m v^2/r. Let C = y and v^2/r = x, then the law becomes

y = mx

This is a line, of course, with slope m. The centripetal force is linear in (v^2/r).

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular motion. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's curved path.

2. How is centripetal force related to the poll, rope, cart, and 80kg person?

In the context of this question, the poll, rope, cart, and 80kg person are all objects that are experiencing centripetal force. The poll or rope is providing the force to keep the cart and 80kg person moving in a circular motion.

3. What is the formula for calculating centripetal force?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is Fc = m * v^2 / r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. How does changing the radius affect the centripetal force?

As the radius of the circular path increases, the centripetal force decreases. This is because a larger radius means a larger distance to cover in the same amount of time, resulting in a lower velocity and therefore, a lower centripetal force.

5. What happens if there is no centripetal force acting on an object?

If there is no centripetal force acting on an object, it will not be able to maintain a circular motion and will instead continue in a straight line. This is known as Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia.