1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal forrce question

1. Nov 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A model airplane whose mass is 875 grams flies in a horizontal circle of radius 3.46 m at the end of a string which is at an angle 10.5 degrees below the horizontal. Find:

a) the tension in the string
    b) the speed of the airplane

2. Relevant equations
    Fc=T=mv^2/r Ac=v^2/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    im not sure if i am given enough information to solve this problem because i dont have the acceleration or velocity

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2009 #2
    You have.I think you could try to analyze the forces to their components and make a relation between the vertical component of tension and the weight.

4. Nov 7, 2009 #3
    I hope i helped

5. Nov 7, 2009 #4
    i think the vertical component of tension has to cancel the weight? am i correct in where i a m going with this.

6. Nov 7, 2009 #5
    yeah that's very good that's the idea

7. Nov 7, 2009 #6
    I am sorry i misguide you.Vertical component of tension cannot cancel the weight because they are both pointing down unless i misunderstood the picture.could yuo plz draw me an image of the ecxercise?

8. Nov 7, 2009 #7
    if this is the case then what i told you is correct.That should be the case bacouse otherwise it would drop

Attached Files:

9. Nov 7, 2009 #8
    okay well i have the answer to the first question because i talked to my professor but i just dont understand how this is the answer. he said that it is 47.1 N.

10. Nov 7, 2009 #9
    Could you draw me the excercise plz?

11. Nov 7, 2009 #10
    there is no picture. its just a word problem. the thing that is throwing me off is that in the problem it states that the end of the string is at an angle 10.5 degrees below the horizontal.

12. Nov 7, 2009 #11
    If the draw is the one i made you then it is correct the 47.1.Approximatelly.Tsin10.5=Mg

13. Nov 7, 2009 #12
    I donnot know it should say above or else it could not be possible to rotate it would fall.ask your teacher about it

14. Nov 7, 2009 #13
    thank you very much

15. Nov 7, 2009 #14
    I donnot think i helped you very much but ok thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook