Maximum Speed on Gym Floor with Coefficient of Friction of 0.8

In summary: What is the maximum horizontal force?In summary, to solve for the maximum speed a person can run around a circle with a coefficient of friction of 0.80 between their shoes and the floor, you need to analyze the forces acting on the person in both the vertical and horizontal directions. By setting the net force in the vertical direction to zero and using Newton's second law, you can determine the normal force acting on the person. Then, by setting the net force in the horizontal direction equal to the centripetal force required for circular motion and using the maximum horizontal force as determined by the coefficient of friction, you can solve for the maximum speed the person can run around the circle.
neonjr
Centripetal or CoEf ?

Homework Statement

If the Coefficient of friction between the gym floor and your running shoes is 0.80, how fast could you run around a circle of radius 2.0m?

I don't know even where to start...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
you should draw a free body diagram and label the forces that are occurring

and apply F=ma, hence a = (v^2)/R

Oomair said:
you should draw a free body diagram and label the forces that are occurring

and apply F=ma, hence a = (v^2)/R

and how do i do that without having any mass to work with, any velocity to work with, any acceleration to work with.

neonjr said:
and how do i do that without having any mass to work with, any velocity to work with, any acceleration to work with.
These are the variables you are trying to solve for. You don't really need a mass as it will disappear in the end.

centripetal acceleration is where a = (v^2)/R, so you know that F=ma, since the problem involves motion around a circle, then the sum of forces is F=m(V^2)/(R)

and you know that friction is a force...

Drawing a free-body diagram shows that there are three different types of forces acting on you in this situation: friction, normal, and gravitational. One of them is going to be unbalanced and cause the acceleration required to keep you running in a circle. Add up the forces acting on you to find the net force, which you should find is only this unbalanced force. Using Newton's second law, F_net = ma, where F_net is this unbalanced force and a is v^2/R, you can solve for the velocity. The mass does end up dropping out, the acceleration was substituted for in terms of velocity, and obviously you won't need the velocity because this is what you are trying to solve for.

Hint: Recall that the friction force is going to be [tex]\mu_{s}n[/tex], or the coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal force.

still getting no where with this, I'm really not understanding without a complete equation. The statement "You don't really need a mass as it will disappear in the end." makes absolutely no sense to me.

And after drawing a FBD I am still not getting what I need to use here. I draw the circle figure out my distance, because i know the radius of the circle, so TTr^2. But to find out velocity in any situation, and GET an answer, not a theoretical answer like (xy2) you need more than one piece of info out of an equation. because V=d/t, all i have is distance, Gravity, and CoEf...I've talked to three people at home here and they are all lost.

There is an upper limit on the centripedal force the shoes can exert. This upper limit maps directly to the maximum speed someone can run around the circle. A person can accelerate less than this upper limit, but this means the person is not running around the circle as fast as they can. What is this upper limit? (HINT: Use the coefficient of friction.)

D H said:
There is an upper limit on the centripedal force the shoes can exert. This upper limit maps directly to the maximum speed someone can run around the circle. A person can accelerate less than this upper limit, but this means the person is not running around the circle as fast as they can. What is this upper limit? (HINT: Use the coefficient of friction.)

i'm sorry to be abrupt, but perhaps i need to say this. but I'm not that bright. i have not got a clue what you are talking about. you need to explain this in terms a 5 year old could understand, and start from the beginning. please.

Suppose the person has a mass m. What is the maximum horizontal force the person can exert with his shoes?

D H said:
Suppose the person has a mass m. What is the maximum horizontal force the person can exert with his shoes?

would this not be 9.8 N ?

Break this into dimensions first. What are your vertical forces and what are your horizontal forces?

Since the runner is not going to be moving in the vertical direction (not coming up off the ground or sinking through it), we know the acceleration in this direction is going to be 0. By Newton's second law, F=ma, where a is zero, the net force in the vertical direction must be therefore be zero. What does this say about the forces acting on the runner in the vertical direction? How can you use this information to analyze the horizontal direction?

In the horizontal direction, you do have an acceleration. It is what let's you run in a circle and is directed toward the center of the circle. Its magnitude is v^2/R. If you have an acceleration in the horizontal direction, you must therefore have a net force acting in the horizontal direction by Newton's second law.

Determine which forces you have in each dimension and set them equal to the mass times the acceleration in that dimension by Newton's second law. If the algebra is done correctly, the mass terms will drop out of the equation, allowing you to solve for the unknown you want: velocity.

You will be working with two equations here: one for each dimension.

neonjr said:
would this not be 9.8 N ?

No. You are out-and-out guessing here. HINT: The maximum horizontal force is the coefficient of (static) friction times the normal force. Any larger force will result in slipping.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object in its circular motion and preventing it from flying off in a straight line.

2. What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of a circular path, while centrifugal force is the perceived outward force that appears to push an object away from the center. In reality, centrifugal force is not a true force, but rather an apparent force caused by the inertia of the object.

3. How is centripetal force related to acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of centripetal force, the acceleration is directed towards the center of the circle, so the centripetal force is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its centripetal acceleration.

4. What is the formula for calculating centripetal force?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. How is centripetal force used in everyday life?

Centripetal force is used in a variety of everyday activities, such as driving around a curve, spinning a ball on a string, or riding a roller coaster. It is also used in machines and tools, such as centrifuges and washing machines, to separate materials based on their density or to create circular motion.