1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal/projectile motion

1. Mar 26, 2007 #1
    from the second question in the link, I've been asked to figure out how to proof some of the formulas. Could someone please help me? I tried using some formulas but I keep getting stuck. If it doesn't show, then could someone please help me proof the formula v^2=mgy

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2007 #2
    none of us can access a file on your computer, you're gonna have to post the question manually.
  4. Mar 26, 2007 #3
    A ball on a string is released from rest with the string horizontal and swings through a quarter circle of radius R. At the bottom of the swing the string breaks and the ball is launched horizontally with speed v. The bottom of the swing is a distance 2R above the floor and the ball lands on the floor a distance d away. I'm using v for velocity, R for radius, and g gravity and a for accelaration
    We have to prove that v^2=2gR

I used the formula v^2y-v^2oy=2ay(y-yo)
    My final answer was -v^2=4gR...something's wrong here cuz i need help
  5. Mar 27, 2007 #4
    First: This should be posted in Homework Help.

Second: You can use conservation of energy here to solve it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?