Centripetal Ride: Chain Rated@3000N - Will it Hold?

In summary, a 9.0m long chain is attached to the top of a rotating tower, with a rate of 1 revolution every 4.0s. The maximum weight of the chair and rider is 150kg, and the chain is rated at 3000N of tension. The question is whether the chain will be strong enough for this setup. The poster has attempted to solve the problem by using the equation Fnet = Ft - Fg, where Ft represents the tension in the chain and Fg represents gravity. They have also calculated the Fnet and compared it to the 3000N chain. They are seeking confirmation if their approach is correct.
kevi555
A chair is attached by a 9.0m long chain to the top of a tall rotating tower. The tower spins the chair and rider around at a rate of 1 Rev. every 4.0s. Max weight of the chair & rider is 150kg. You buy chain rated@3000N of tension. Will that chain be strong enough?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show some of your working? If you read the forum rules we will not do your homework for you.

A chair is attached by a 9.0m long chain to the top of a tall rotating tower. The tower spins the chair and rider around at a rate of 1 Rev. every 4.0s. Max weight of the chair & rider is 150kg. You buy chain rated@3000N of tension. Will that chain be strong enough?

I have the same problem as posted above. what i have come with so far is that Fnet = Ft-Fg. Where Ft is the tension in the chain. which i figure to be m*[v^2/r]. And Fg is gravity m*g. Then i simply subtracted them to get the Fnet. Then compared them to 3000N chain. Am I on the right track with the problem?

What is a centripetal ride?

A centripetal ride is a type of amusement ride that uses centripetal force to keep riders moving along a circular or curved path.

What does "chain rated@3000N" mean?

The "chain rated@3000N" refers to the maximum amount of force that the chain used to propel the ride can withstand. In this case, it is rated for a maximum force of 3000 Newtons.

Will the ride hold up to 3000N of force?

Based on the chain's rating, the ride should be able to withstand 3000N of force. However, this also depends on other factors such as the materials and construction of the ride, as well as proper maintenance and operation.

Is a 3000N force safe for riders?

It is difficult to determine the safety of a force without knowing more about the ride and its design. However, in general, a force of 3000N can be considered safe for riders as long as the ride is designed and operated properly.

How is the maximum force rating for a ride determined?

The maximum force rating for a ride is determined by considering factors such as the materials and construction of the ride, as well as safety standards and regulations. Engineers and ride designers use calculations and testing to determine a safe maximum force for riders.