1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal Ride

1. Feb 7, 2007 #1
    A chair is attached by a 9.0m long chain to the top of a tall rotating tower. The tower spins the chair and rider around at a rate of 1 Rev. every 4.0s. Max weight of the chair & rider is 150kg. You buy chain rated@3000N of tension. Will that chain be strong enough?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you show some of your working? If you read the forum rules we will not do your homework for you.

4. Oct 28, 2007 #3
    A chair is attached by a 9.0m long chain to the top of a tall rotating tower. The tower spins the chair and rider around at a rate of 1 Rev. every 4.0s. Max weight of the chair & rider is 150kg. You buy chain rated@3000N of tension. Will that chain be strong enough?

I have the same problem as posted above. what i have come with so far is that Fnet = Ft-Fg. Where Ft is the tension in the chain. which i figure to be m*[v^2/r]. And Fg is gravity m*g. Then i simply subtracted them to get the Fnet. Then compared them to 3000N chain. Am I on the right track with the problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?