Calculating Angle Theta in Centripetal Motion Problem

• Thread starter strugglin-physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, a mass of 5.100 kg is suspended from a string of length 1.110 m and is revolving in a horizontal circle with a tangential speed of 2.696 m/s. The angle theta between the string and the vertical can be found by using the formula T=mg/cos theta, where T is the tension force, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and theta is the angle. The tension force is provided by the string and must balance the weight of the mass, leading to the equation Tcos theta = mg. Using this, we can find that cos theta = sqrt(1+(v^2/2Lg)^2) - (v^2/
strugglin-physics
A mass m = 5.100 kg is suspended from a string of length L = 1.110 m. It revolves in a horizontal circle (see Figure). The tangential speed of the mass is 2.696 m/s. What is the angle theta between the string and the vertical (in degrees)?

My first question is what is tangential speed? Is that the V in the formula
Ac=v^2/r?

But my biggest problem (I think) is that I can't figure out how to draw a FBD for this picture.

Assistance is appreciated.

Attachments

• prob33_flymass.gif
    prob33_flymass.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 536
Physics news on Phys.org
Tangental (tangential? I dunno) speed is the magnitude of the velocity vector of the mass that points in a direction tangental to its circular path (that is, perpendicular to the centripetal force vector). It is the instantaneous speed of the mass. Yes, that formula is correct.

Kudos for starting with a free-body diagram. Think about all the forces present. What is the force causing the mass to stay in circular motion? What other force is present? Hint: neglecting friction, only two forces are acting on the mass.

To help you a bit further:
Note that the vertical component of the tension force must balance the weight of mass.

Is it a drag force? F=-bv and the weight force?

What drag force? There is no drag force in this problem?

Why do you think it is a drag force?

Let me help you out a bit:
1.The tension force is directed along the string, let it's magnitude be T.
2.Let [tex]\theta[/tex] be the angle you're supposed to find.
3. Hence, the vertical component of the tension force is [tex]T\cos\theta[/tex]
4. This component must balance the weight of the mass, so we get from Newton's second law:
[tex]T=\frac{mg}{\cos\theta}[/tex]
(No accelerations in the vertical)
5. The horizontal component of the tension force must provide the centripetal acceleration of the mass.
The radius R is evidently :[tex]R=L\sin\theta[/tex]
Can you take it from here?

I don't know what the second force is... I know the weight force but I what is keeping the plane up can't be a contact force because it isn't touching anything. So that leaves magnetic or electric and I know it isn't either of those. Therefore, I'm stumped.

Sorry, totally thinking about the other problem. LOL :uhh:

Last edited:
The tension force is provided by the string.

So for the vertical component we have mg/cos theta times cos theta equals mass times acceleration. Don't the thetas cancel out and leave us with mg=ma making g = a
That doesn't help me figure out theta though, sigh, sorry for being such a pain... we have a test tomorrow... I have a funny feeling it is not going to be a really good day.

NO!
The vertical component of the tension force is, as I've said [tex]T\cos\theta[/tex]
Then, look at the vertical component of Newton's 2.law:
[tex]T\cos\theta-mg=0[/tex]
Hence, [tex]T=\frac{mg}{\cos\theta}[/tex]

EDIT:
You are now done with finding the magnitude of the tension.
Use this expression for the magnitude of tension in the radial component of Newton's second law (in the horizontal plane, that is)

Last edited:
For your information, you should get:
[tex]\cos\theta=\sqrt{(1+(\frac{v^{2}}{2Lg})^{2})}-\frac{v^{2}}{2Lg}[/tex]
where v is the tangential velocity.

1. What is centripetal motion?

Centripetal motion is the movement of an object that follows a circular path around a fixed point. It is caused by a centripetal force, which acts towards the center of the circle and keeps the object in its circular path.

2. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the outward force that appears to push an object away from the center of the circle. Centrifugal force is a fictitious force that arises due to an observer's viewpoint, while centripetal force is a real force acting on the object.

3. How do you calculate the speed of an object in centripetal motion?

The speed of an object in centripetal motion can be calculated using the formula v = square root (r x a), where v is the speed, r is the radius of the circle, and a is the centripetal acceleration.

4. What is the role of centripetal force in circular motion?

The role of centripetal force is to keep an object moving in a circular path by constantly changing its direction towards the center of the circle. This force is necessary for an object to maintain its circular motion and prevents it from flying off in a straight line.

5. What are some examples of centripetal motion in everyday life?

Some examples of centripetal motion in everyday life include the rotation of the Earth around the sun, the motion of a car around a curve, and the spinning of a washing machine during the rinse cycle. Other examples include the orbit of planets around the sun, the motion of a pendulum, and the circular motion of a rollercoaster.