Centripital Acceleration Question

In summary, a 220 kg boat is making a circular turn with a radius of 32m and an initial tangential speed of 5.0 m/s. The engine applies a net tangential force of 550N to the boat, resulting in a tangential acceleration of 2.5 m/s^2. To find the centripetal acceleration after 2 seconds, the final speed of the boat can be calculated using the initial speed and acceleration. Then, the centripetal acceleration can be determined using a = v^2/R.
pinky2468
I can get the first part, but I am getting tripped up on the second part.

A 220 kg boat is negotiating a circular turn (radius=32m) around a buoy. During the turn, the engine causes a net tangetntial force of magnitude 550N to be applied to the boat. The initial tangential speed of the boat going around the turn is 5.0 m/s a)find the tangential acceleration b)after the boat is 2.0 s into the turn find the centripetal acceleration.

So for part a)
F=mr(alpha) (alpha=angular acceleration, I can't make the symbol) alpha= .078 rad/s^2

Tang. acceleration= r(alpha)= 2.5 m/s^2

I am stuck on part b, I think the fact that I am given the initial tangential speed. So do I find the final and take the average?

Physics news on Phys.org
part b

Since you are given the force of the engine, and the intial speed, you know the acceleration of the boat. From that you can deduce the final speed of the boat after 2 seconds from v2 = v1 + at(t = 2,a=550/massofboat,v1=5m/s). Then the acceleration you seek is simply
a = v^2/R m/s^2

For part b), you do not need to find the final tangential speed. You can use the formula for centripetal acceleration: a = v^2/r, where v is the tangential speed and r is the radius of the circular turn. Since the tangential speed remains constant at 5.0 m/s, you can plug that in for v and the given radius of 32m to find the centripetal acceleration.

a = (5.0 m/s)^2 / 32m = 0.781 m/s^2

So the centripetal acceleration of the boat after 2.0 seconds into the turn is 0.781 m/s^2.

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude depends on the speed and radius of the circular motion.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. Is centripetal acceleration the same as centrifugal force?

No, centripetal acceleration and centrifugal force are two different concepts. Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in circular motion due to its inertia.

4. What is the relationship between centripetal acceleration and centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that causes an object to move in a circular path, and it is always directed towards the center of the circle. It is directly proportional to centripetal acceleration, meaning that as the centripetal acceleration increases, so does the centripetal force.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some examples of centripetal acceleration in everyday life include a car turning around a corner, a person swinging a ball on a string, and a satellite orbiting around the Earth.