Centripital acceleration

In summary: Ac=v^2/r. But the problem only gives you two radius', so I'm not sure what to do next.nvm, I got the answer. Why couldn't you just explain that I had to divide the two numbers instead of asking me for the Ac formula, which I already knew? I hate teachers that make me in circles trying to find an answer.nvm, I got the answer.
bakeit1
I am having some trouble with this problem, an explanation on how to do this would be awesome, thanks:

The large blade of a helicopter is rotating in a horizontal circle. The length of the blade is 6.40 m, measured from its tip to the center of the circle. Find the ratio of the centripetal acceleration at the end of the blade to that which exists at a point located 2.86 m from the center of the circle.

I just don't see how there's enough info. to solve this. Please explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the formula for centripetal acceleration?

Ac=v^2/r

But the problem only gives you two radius', so I'm not sure what to do next.

nvm, I got the answer. Why couldn't you just explain that I had to divide the two numbers instead of asking me for the Ac formula, which I already knew? I hate teachers that make me in circles trying to find an answer.

bakeit1 said:
nvm, I got the answer. Why couldn't you just explain that I had to divide the two numbers instead of asking me for the Ac formula, which I already knew? I hate teachers that make me in circles trying to find an answer.

In your first post you didn't say you knew the formula, so how are we to know? You didn't show any work. When we get a post like that we will start off by asking basic questions, to see what your understanding is.

bakeit1 said:
I hate teachers that make me in circles trying to find an answer.

Sorry, to interfere, but I feel very sorry for you "bakeit1". I feel, best way to let students learn, is by letting them rack their mind before providing with a solution. And, if you have some time to notice, this is also the motto of this forum. If you are looking for direct answers, I guess you are at wrong place.

ok

saket said:
Sorry, to interfere, but I feel very sorry for you "bakeit1". I feel, best way to let students learn, is by letting them rack their mind before providing with a solution. And, if you have some time to notice, this is also the motto of this forum. If you are looking for direct answers, I guess you are at wrong place.

Had I been looking for a direct answer I would have stated so in my first post. I agree, giving someone an answer is meaningless, but i'd rather have you explain the answer, or atleast how to go about doing it.

well

hage567 said:
In your first post you didn't say you knew the formula, so how are we to know? You didn't show any work. When we get a post like that we will start off by asking basic questions, to see what your understanding is.

Well there really isn't any work to be shown to this problem; it's more conceptual. Albeit you either know how to do it or you don't. It's not like I could have attempted anything, as I didn't even know where to begin with JUST the two radius'.

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is equal to the square of the object's speed divided by the radius of the circle.

How is centripetal acceleration different from tangential acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle, while tangential acceleration is the acceleration along the tangent of the circle. They are perpendicular to each other and together they make up the total acceleration of an object moving in a circular path.

What is the formula for calculating centripetal acceleration?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circle.

What is the relationship between centripetal acceleration and centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to the centripetal force acting on an object. This means that as the centripetal force increases, the centripetal acceleration also increases.

How is centripetal acceleration used in real life?

Centripetal acceleration is used in many real-life applications, such as amusement park rides, car racing, and satellite orbits. It is also important in understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in our solar system.