Centripital Force of the Earth

• Thread starter BoldKnight399
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth Force
In summary, to calculate the centripetal force exerted on the Earth by the Sun, first the period of one revolution (365.25 days) was converted to seconds. Then, using the equation Vt=2piR/T, the velocity of the Earth was found to be 29.86531 m/s. This was then plugged into the equation Fcep=mVt^2/r, resulting in a force of 3.5677X10^19. However, after being informed that the distance should be in meters, the calculations were redone and the correct answer was found.
BoldKnight399
Calculate the centripital force exerted on the Earth by the Sun. Assume that the period of one revolution is 365.25 days. The average distance is 1.5X10^8 km and the Earth's mass is 6X10^24 kg.

ok so first I turned the time into seconds. Then I tried to find the velocity of the Earth using the equation:
Vt=2piR/T
so that became:
Vt=2pi(1.5X10^8km)/(31557600sec)
so the velocity was 29.86531 m/s
I then plugged it into the equation
Fcep=mVt^2/r
so F=(6X10^24)(29.86531)^2/(1.5X10^8)
F=3.5677X10^19

apparently that was the wrong answer. I was hoping that someone could see what I did wrong and help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
BoldKnight399 said:
Calculate the centripital force exerted on the Earth by the Sun. Assume that the period of one revolution is 365.25 days. The average distance is 1.5X10^8 km and the Earth's mass is 6X10^24 kg.

ok so first I turned the time into seconds. Then I tried to find the velocity of the Earth using the equation:
Vt=2piR/T
so that became:
Vt=2pi(1.5X10^8km)/(31557600sec)

In the next line did you convert km to m?

no I did not. Lemme see if that works now

Thank you so much!

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How is centripetal force related to the Earth?

The centripetal force of the Earth is the force that keeps objects, including humans, moving in a circular path around the center of the Earth. This force is caused by the Earth's gravity.

3. How is the centripetal force of the Earth calculated?

The centripetal force of the Earth can be calculated using the formula F = (mv²)/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. What factors affect the centripetal force of the Earth?

The centripetal force of the Earth is affected by the mass of the object, the speed at which the object is moving, and the distance between the object and the center of the Earth. An increase in any of these factors will result in a greater centripetal force.

5. How does the centripetal force of the Earth impact daily life?

The centripetal force of the Earth is essential for the existence of life on our planet. It keeps the Earth and other celestial bodies in orbit, maintains the Earth's rotation, and creates the Coriolis effect, which influences weather patterns. It also allows for the formation of tides and plays a crucial role in the water cycle.