1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centroid in three dimensions

1. Nov 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the centroid of the region D, lying above the sphere x2+y2+z2 and below the paraboloid z=4-x2-y2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I decided it might be easier to change it to polar coordinates soo I did
    M=∫∫∫ dzrdrdθ
    where z goes from sqrt(6-r2) to 4-r2
    θ goes from 0 to 2∏
    then i thought the r would be where the two functions intersect, so i set sqrt(6-r2)=4-r2 solving for r i got my solutions came out to be sqrt2 and sqrt5, i dont know which one to use because i thought r would go from 0 to either sqrt2 or sqrt5

if some one could help me out i would really appreciate it.. thanks
    solving for r i got

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Look at a graph. [itex]r^2+ z^2= 6[/itex] (you forgot the "6" in your origina equation but it can be deduced from what you wrote later) and [itex]z= 4- r^2[/itex] intersect twice. For [itex]r= \sqrt{2}[/itex], [itex]z= 4- 2= 2[/itex] and for [itex]r= \sqrt{5}[/itex], [itex]z= 4- 5= -1[/itex]. Because the problem says "above the sphere and below the paraoloid, you want to use the higher one, [itex]r= \sqrt{2}[/itex], z= 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook