What is the correct centroid for a semicircle?

• Thread starter lizzyb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centroid
In summary, the centroid of a semicircle can be found by calculating the average y-coordinate using the formula (1/A) S[y*2sqrt(1-y^2)dy] from 0 to 1. This is equivalent to (4r)/(3 pi) and not (2 r)/(pi) as stated in the conversation. The confusion may have arisen due to the difference between a semicircular area and a semicircular arc.
lizzyb
The centroid of a semicircle is noted at being (4r)/(3 pi) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_centroids. However, when I did the work myself using the integral of y da over the area, I came up with (2 r)/(pi). I figured I was doing something wrong so sought out someone else's work and found this:

pg=PA164&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U3CWQGo0xQTBkdM18w7Hm8OBCZWPQ&ci=19%2C22%2C934%2C593&edge=0.png

http://books.google.com/books?id=P7...&dq=analytically centroid semicircle&pg=PA164

Who is right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The correct answer is 4r/3pi, if what you are after is the average y-coordinate. This can be calculated fairly easily by doing this:

(1/A) S[y*2sqrt(1-y^2)dy] from 0 to 1.

I think you are confusing a semicircular area with a semicircular arc. Both appear on the Wikipedia page with centroids. The excerpt you posted clearly refers to the case of a semicircular arc, not an area.

What is the definition of the centroid of a semicircle?

The centroid of a semicircle is the point at which the semicircle would balance if it were cut out of a piece of cardboard.

How is the centroid of a semicircle calculated?

The centroid of a semicircle can be calculated by finding the average of the x-coordinates of all points along the arc and the average of the y-coordinates of all points along the arc.

What is the significance of the centroid of a semicircle?

The centroid of a semicircle is significant because it is the center of mass of the semicircle. This means that it is the point where all of the mass of the semicircle is evenly distributed.

Can the centroid of a semicircle be located outside of the semicircle?

No, the centroid of a semicircle will always be located on the arc or the diameter of the semicircle.

What are some real-world applications of finding the centroid of a semicircle?

One real-world application is in the design of bridges or arches, where the centroid of a semicircle can help engineers determine the most stable location for supports. It is also used in physics and mechanics to calculate the center of gravity for curved objects.