• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Centroid Of A Triangle

• Thread starter CivilSigma
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Hello. In class we learned how to calculate centroids of a triangle. For the y-coordinate we use the formula height/3 and for the x we use 2/3 * base

Homework Equations

In the diagram, If I want to calculate the y coordinate , I do 72 (which is the proposed height)/ 3 ; only to get y=24 which is incorrect.

It turns out that to find the y-coordinate in this case we must do 2/3*height. Why is that so? This is really confusing.
Why did the formulas to calculating 'y' and 'x' values switch?

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

Hello. In class we learned how to calculate centroids of a triangle. For the y-coordinate we use the formula height/3 and for the x we use 2/3 * base

Homework Equations

In the diagram, If I want to calculate the y coordinate , I do 72 (which is the proposed height)/ 3 ; only to get y=24 which is incorrect.

It turns out that to find the y-coordinate in this case we must do 2/3*height. Why is that so?
Because the triangle is upside down. The "base" is at the top and you have to measure 1/3 of the way down.
sakonpure6 said:
This is really confusing.
Why did the formulas to calculating 'y' and 'x' values switch?

Thank you for your time.

But the height is still 72? and one more thing, when we say the height do we automatically pick the longest side of the triangle?

Edit: Okay I see what you mean now. If I do h/3 , I get 24 but that is from the top not the bottom of the plane.

However, how would you calculate the x-coordinate?

Last edited:
But the height is still 72? and one more thing, when we say the height do we automatically pick the longest side of the triangle?
Usually, what we call the base is at the bottom and horizontal, and the altitude or height is the vertical distance from the base to the opposite vertex. This triangle is oriented so that the base is at the top. When you calculate the area using A = (1/2) b * h, any side can be considered the base.
sakonpure6 said:
Edit: Okay I see what you mean now. If I do h/3 , I get 24 but that is from the top not the bottom of the plane.

However, how would you calculate the x-coordinate?
You have the formula in your first post.