Centroid Problem: Find xbar, ybar in Quadrant 1 of xy-plane

• Thread starter 3soteric
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centroid
In summary: It seems that you do understand the region correctly.The area is simply \displaystyle \text{A}=\int_{0}^{1} (\sqrt{2x}-(x-x^2))\,dx\ .
3soteric

Homework Statement

Find the centroid of the region in the first quadrant of the xy-plane bounded by the graphs of the equations:
x=0, x=1, y=x-x^2, and y^2=2x

Homework Equations

xbar: integral of x dA/ integral of dA
ybar: integral y dA/ integral of dA

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt at it was not so great, i determined the limit for the x values were from 0 to 1, the y limits were from x-x^2 to square root of 2x. I am not sure if the limits I chose are even valid, but that is what I could grasp. Then integrated dydx respectively with the limits, and ended up with 1/2 as the dA. I tried to find ybar and ended up with 29/15, which is clearly wrong if I have the concept of centroids correct. I attempted xbar but I can't seem to get too far.

Can I get some help please? this is a test review and need to understand this concept

Physics news on Phys.org
3soteric said:

Homework Statement

Find the centroid of the region in the first quadrant of the xy-plane bounded by the graphs of the equations:
x=0, x=1, y=x-x^2, and y^2=2x

Homework Equations

xbar: integral of x dA/ integral of dA
ybar: integral y dA/ integral of dA

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt at it was not so great, i determined the limit for the x values were from 0 to 1, the y limits were from x-x^2 to square root of 2x. I am not sure if the limits I chose are even valid, but that is what I could grasp. Then integrated dydx respectively with the limits, and ended up with 1/2 as the dA. I tried to find ybar and ended up with 29/15, which is clearly wrong if I have the concept of centroids correct. I attempted xbar but I can't seem to get too far.

Can I get some help please? this is a test review and need to understand this concept
Hello 3soteric. Welcome to PF !

First of all, sketch the region of interest.

The area is not 1/2. Is that what you had?

What Is it that you integrated for the area, A, for xbar for ybar?

thanks for the welcome sam!

do i sketch it and upload the image? the area seems to be limited vertically in y sense by x-x^2 and sqrt2x, horizontally by x=0, and x=1, for area yes i ended up with 1/2 but can you show me why is it wrong or the process? for ybar i got 29/15 and i couldn't calculate xbar by the nature of integration but i ended up with 10.8 as the final value if i remember which seems wrong as well

3soteric said:
thanks for the welcome sam!

do i sketch it and upload the image? the area seems to be limited vertically in y sense by x-x^2 and sqrt2x, horizontally by x=0, and x=1, for area yes i ended up with 1/2 but can you show me why is it wrong or the process? for ybar i got 29/15 and i couldn't calculate xbar by the nature of integration but i ended up with 10.8 as the final value if i remember which seems wrong as well

It seems that you do understand the region correctly.

The area is simply [itex]\displaystyle \text{A}=\int_{0}^{1} (\sqrt{2x}-(x-x^2))\,dx\ .[/itex]

The integral for [itex]\bar{x}[/itex] should be less complicated than the integral for [itex]\bar{y}\ .[/itex]

yo sam thanks ! i ended up getting the values for x bar, y bar respectively as .5141, .408 which make much more sense than the values i derived at the beginning of the problem.:cool:

3soteric said:
yo sam thanks ! i ended up getting the values for x bar, y bar respectively as .5141, .408 which make much more sense than the values i derived at the beginning of the problem.:cool:
What did you get for the area?

SammyS said:
What did you get for the area?
i ended up getting .776!

3soteric said:
i ended up getting .776!
That's correct, (if it's not a factorial LOL).

I got something a bit different for [itex]\bar{x}\,,[/itex] but I wasn't all that careful in getting it.

SammyS said:
That's correct, (if it's not a factorial LOL).

I got something a bit different for [itex]\bar{x}\,,[/itex] but I wasn't all that careful in getting it.

LOL its not a factorial ! phew!

im sure i have the right idea regardless right?

by the way you think you can help me with the new problem i posted in this same section about cylindrical coordinates LOL, if you have time of course. I've been trying for the longest and don't seem to understand the concept

What is the centroid problem?

The centroid problem involves finding the center of mass, or centroid, of a two-dimensional shape in the xy-plane. In this case, we are specifically looking for the coordinates of the centroid in Quadrant 1 of the xy-plane.

Why is finding the centroid important?

The centroid is an important concept in physics and engineering as it represents the point at which an object can be balanced. It is also used in geometry to determine the center of a shape.

What is xbar and ybar?

Xbar and ybar are the coordinates of the centroid in the x and y directions, respectively. They are also known as the mean values of the x and y coordinates of the shape.

How is the centroid calculated?

The centroid can be calculated by taking the average of all the x-coordinates and the average of all the y-coordinates of the shape. This can be represented mathematically as (xbar, ybar) = (1/n) * ∑(xi, yi), where n is the number of points and (xi, yi) are the individual coordinates.

Can the centroid problem be solved for shapes in other quadrants?

Yes, the centroid problem can be solved for shapes in any quadrant or even in three-dimensional space. The method of calculation remains the same, but the coordinates may have different signs depending on the location of the shape.