1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centroid quadrant problem

1. Oct 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the centroid of the region bounded by the curves y = (4x-x^2) and y = x.

2. Relevant equations

Centroid = (x-bar, y-bar)

x-bar = My/M

y-bar = Mx/M

M = ∫ρ[f(x) - g(x)]dx

My = ∫ρ(x)[f(x) - g(x)]dx

Mx = ∫(1/2)ρ[{f(x)}^2 - {g(x)}^2]dx

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I define y = x to be f(x), and y = 4x - x^2 to be g(x), so that the x^2 value will be positive, and simplify calculations. This leaves f(x) - g(x) as x^2 - 3x. The curves meet at x = 0 and x = 3, so I am integrating from 0 to 3.

Using the first integral for M, I get (27/2)ρ. This isn't a problem, a value along these lines was expecting.

The second integral is where the problem lays.

∫ρ(x)[f(x) - g(x)]dx simplifies to ρ(∫x^3 - 3x^2 dx) on the interval 0 to 3. The anti-derivative generated is: ρ([x^4]/4 - x^3)|(3-0)

This appears to simplify to -6.75, but since the curves meet, and thus the region for the centroid I am finding is contained entirely in the first quadrant, it seems that it's impossible for there to be a negative value in any of these integrals.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

And what will the value of f(x)-g(x) be at, say, x = 1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook