1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centroid Question

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Just studying statics in my first year of university and i do not understand the centroid topic at all. The question goes like this, given a equation y=x^2 , and the x-axis is 0 - 4 , with the lower portion of the graph is highlighted. It is given by diagram but sorry I don't have scanner so can't provide the diagram, but i think the info i gave is enough to illustrate that simple graph. The question ask to find the centroid of it.

2. Relevant equations
    The equations i know that i have to use is X-dash and y-dash formula. x-dash formula is (let assume | is integration) "|xdA within 0-4 divided by |dA, (A=|ydx)" and
    "|ydA within 0-16 divided by |dA, (A=|xdy)".

3. The attempt at a solution

I go through all the equations and I found X-dash is 3 which I think is correct, but my y-dash is 9.6, which is doubled of the answer provided to me, 4.8... I don't understand what's wrong with my calculation ?

p/s : I asked my lecturer and he said the |ydA shud be |(y/2)dA , but why ? Please do help me because my exam is coming and I still dun understand this small parts of statics. Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2007 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

I've no idea what your formulae mean, but you get the centroid x coord by integrating x*y*dx from 0-4 and dividing that by the integral of y*dx from 0-4.

The rotate the axes and repeat for y.

4. Apr 20, 2007 #3
    For the Y centroid

Hey Mentz114, thanks for the help, the formulae u provided helped me to find the x-centroid, which is 3, but i still find the y centroid to be 9.6. Isn't that the formula to find y centroid is integrating y*x*dy from 0-16 and dividing that by the integral of x*dy from 0-16 ?

5. Apr 20, 2007 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

I got the x centroid to be 8/3, but I could be wrong.

To do y, keep the same vars, but invert the function so

y = sqrt(x)

6. Apr 20, 2007 #5

Mentz114

Gold Member

Should you be taking the square root of 9.6 ?

7. Apr 20, 2007 #6
    I found the X centroid to be 3 if using my own formula and yours.
    You said "integrating x*y*dx from 0-4 and dividing that by the integral of y*dx from 0-4" to find x-centroid right ?

So |x*y*dx will turned into |x^3dx since y=x^2 , hence i got 64 after integration.

Then |y*dx will turned into |x^2dx since y=x^2 as well, hence I got 21.333 after integration.

So |x*y*dx divide by |y*dx = 64/21.3333 = 3 ( X-Centroid)

8. Apr 20, 2007 #7
    You said to keep the same variants, means use 0-4 ? But the function is inverted, shouldn't be using 0-16 ? since y=x^2 , and shouldn't be x=sqrt(y) ?

9. Apr 20, 2007 #8

Mentz114

Gold Member

The integral of x^3dx is (x^4)/4 and the integral of x^2dx is (x^3)/3.

As I said, my answer could be wrong.

I think you've got the hang of it so I'll leave you to it.

Try to understand why the formulae are correct.

10. Apr 20, 2007 #9
    Hmm , I can understand for X centroid , but how about Y centroid ? Could you may be write the formula for me to find Y centroid ? As I still haven't found the Y centroid yet .... not the correct one at least ...

11. Apr 20, 2007 #10

Mentz114

Gold Member

I get 9.6 !

[tex]\int_0^{16} x^{\frac{3}{2}} dx[/tex]

divided by

[tex]\int_0^{16} x^{\frac{1}{2}} dx[/tex]

12. Apr 20, 2007 #11
    I got 9.6 as well, but my lecturer's answer is 4.8 which is half of it ... that's make me confusing ... :confused:

13. Apr 20, 2007 #12

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Metz114 is finding the Y centroid of the wrong area.

Draw a picture. The "width" of the area is that you are integrating over is [tex]4-y^{1/2}[/tex], not [tex]y^{1/2}[/tex].

So the integral you need to evaluate is [tex]\int_0^{16} y(4-y^{1/2})dy[/tex]

The fact that you get twice the right answer is a conincidence.

14. Apr 20, 2007 #13

Mentz114

Gold Member

There we are - corrected.
    I imagined the shape wrongly. Thank you, AlephZero

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  15. Apr 20, 2007 #14
    Ok, finally got the answer, but still forgive for my noob-ness, why when find the y-centroid, the integrating have to be [​IMG] ? Why the x had become 4-y^(1/2) ? Sorry but anyway, thanks for all the helps.

16. Apr 21, 2007 #15

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's a picture to show what's going on when you evaluate the two integrals.

Attached Files:

17. Apr 21, 2007 #16
    huh ? It seems like the atcachment is waiting for approval ... Why need to have approval to show attachment ? Or may be Alephzero is kind enough to send me the link of that gif file ? Thanks ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?