1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centroid question

1. Dec 21, 2015 #1
    I'm having trouble understanding what this question is actually asking for. Is it assuming the centroid to be the origin and asking how far the bottom of the shape extends downwards for the origin to be the centroid?

z84dCnC.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2015 #2
    No, I don't think so. To the best of my interpretation of the question, it contains two parts:
    (1) Given this shape, find out the position of the centre of mass (in terms of L).
    (2) From that answer, determine the range of values of L such that the centre of mass lies in the shape itself (i.e. [itex]L \leq y_{c} \leq 0[/itex])

4. Dec 21, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not exactly that, but if you were to answer that question it would be a short step to answering the last part of the given question. Wouldn't help so much with the first part though, so address that first.

5. Dec 25, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The figure is described completely and you are asked to find the centroid. So, no, the problem does not assume the centroid is at the origin! The centroid of a region always lies within it convex hull but for some values of L, the centroid might lie just above the origin, outside the figure itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted