1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centroid with Green's Theorem

1. Feb 5, 2007 #1
    Can someone help me with the following? I'm supposed to find the centroid of a region D using Green's Theorem. Assume that this density function is constant.

∫Pdx + ∫Qdy = ∫∫(dQ/dx)-(dP/dy)
    A = ∫xdy = -∫ydx = ½*∫xdy - ydx

I know that the mass of a region D with constant density function is ∫kdA (which is the area times some constant K). Let's make it easy and assume that k = 1 with the area A. So, the centroid of the region D would be located at (1/A*∫∫xdA) and (1/A*∫∫ydA). So, if I set Pdx as -ydx, and Qdy as xdy, I would get from Green's Theorem that ∫Pdx = -∫∫ydxdy and ∫Qdy = ∫∫xdxdy. But if you divide by A this is the expression for the coordinates of the centroid, since ∫∫xdxdy = ∫∫xdA and -∫∫ydxdy = ∫∫ydA. So you have the coordinates as 1/2A∫x^2/dy and 1/2A∫-y^2dx as the coordinates? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. Setting P=0, Q=x^2/2 gives you x integrated over the surface and P=(-y)^2/2, Q=0 gives you y. So your final conclusion is correct.
  4. Nov 17, 2009 #3
    I know this is an old thread, but I need to understand the derived centroid coordinates from Green's theorem.

I basically got lost when he said "So, if I set Pdx as -ydx, and Qdy as xdy, I would get from Green's Theorem that∫Pdx = -∫∫ydxdy and ∫Qdy = ∫∫xdxdy."

By my understanding, ∫Pdx = ∫-ydx, using Green's theorem,
    ∫∫(dQ/dx - dP/dy)dA = ∫∫(--1)dxdy = ∫∫dA = A?
  5. Nov 17, 2009 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I know you know it's an old thread, but parasitizing old threads is an almost sure way to get completely ignored. If Q=x^2/2 then dQ/dx is x. That's all I'm going to say until you do the right thing and post your own problems.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?