Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centroids Statics Compsites

1. Oct 22, 2016 #1
    Hi can anyone explain how in this solution they were getting for the rectangle 175x210.
    And how they split the triangles

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2016 #2
    The 210 dimension was INCORRECTLY arrived at by using the Radius of the cutout. They should have used the Diameter and the the 210 should be 300.

Due to the 45o angle, each triangle is one half of a square of 75 on a side, and there are two triangles.

4. Oct 23, 2016 #3
    Yea that's what I thought as well for the rectangles. 175x300
    And the answer is wrong as well it should be 95.6 for y bar

Thank-you

5. Oct 23, 2016 #4
    Capture.PNG
    I'm not understanding how they were able to obtain the mass and y bar since they only gave out this
    For 1=24kg/m^2
    2=36kg/m^2

6. Oct 23, 2016 #5
    You just exceeded my knowledge (I'm an electronics guy). Lets hope someone else jumps in here to help.

7. Oct 23, 2016 #6
    Okay thanks for the first post

8. Oct 23, 2016 #7

JBA

The area of each can be calculated from the dimensions, so their mass is simply obtained by multiplying (kg = kg/mm^2 x mm^2). They are treating both components as surfaces of zero thickness, even though the illustration shows the end plate as though it has a thickness.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted