What is the maximum speed for a fairground roundabout with a 20º angle limit?

• Thread starter mucky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: From the conversation, we can determine that the problem involves a fairground roundabout with carriages hung from a rotating circular roof by means of chains. The upper ends of the chains are attached to the edge of the circular roof which has a diameter of 6m. During operation, the carriages must not exceed an angle of 20º to the vertical. The problem is to draw a good annotated sketch of the roundabout and determine the maximum speed in rev.min-1 at which it can operate. To solve this, the radius of the curve that the chair is rotating in must be determined. The formula for this involves finding the sine of the angle and multiplying it by the length of the chain. Then, using this radius, the formula
mucky

Homework Statement

1 A fairground roundabout has a number of carriages hung from a rotating circular roof by means of chains 3.5m long. The upper ends of the chains are attached to the edge of the circular roof which has a diameter of 6m. During operation, the carriages must not exceed an angle of 20º to the vertical. Draw a good annotated sketch of the roundabout and determine the maximum speed in rev.min-1 at which it can operate.

Homework Equations

I don't know whether to enter the circular roof's radius of 3 m in the equation below, ie add it to the 3.5 m long chain?

The Attempt at a Solution

Without addition of the roofs radius of 3 m:
[tex]\sqrt{}(9.81tan20)/(3.5sin20)[/tex] = 1.727rad.sec
1.727 x 60 / 2[tex]\pi[/tex] = 16.49 rpm

Addition of the radius of 3 m:
[tex]\sqrt{}(9.81tan20)/(6.5sin20)[/tex] = 1.267rad.sec
1.727 x 60 / 2[tex]\pi[/tex] = 12.10 rpm

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mucky said:

Homework Statement

1 A fairground roundabout has a number of carriages hung from a rotating circular roof by means of chains 3.5m long. The upper ends of the chains are attached to the edge of the circular roof which has a diameter of 6m. During operation, the carriages must not exceed an angle of 20º to the vertical. Draw a good annotated sketch of the roundabout and determine the maximum speed in rev.min-1 at which it can operate.

Homework Equations

I don't know whether to enter the circular roof's radius of 3 m in the equation below, ie add it to the 3.5 m long chain?
determine the radius of the curve that the chair is rotating in.

The Attempt at a Solution

Without addition of the roofs radius of 3 m:
[tex]\sqrt{}(9.81tan20)/(3.5sin20)[/tex] = 1.727rad.sec
1.727 x 60 / 2[tex]\pi[/tex] = 16.49 rpm
looks like you've combined a couple of steps here, and made an algebra error. Please show step by step how you arrived at this equation.
Addition of the radius of 3 m:
[tex]\sqrt{}(9.81tan20)/(6.5sin20)[/tex] = 1.267rad.sec
1.727 x 60 / 2[tex]\pi[/tex] = 12.10 rpm
Same comment as above, but also, what is the radius of the curve? You don't have the correct value. Did you draw a sketch?

Sooooo...
Circular radius: sin20 x 3.5 = 1.197m

Then could I:
2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\sqrt{}1.197/9.81tan20[/tex] = 3.638s
Because I have the period time: 1/f = 1/3.638 = 0.275 revs/per/sec
0.275 x 60 = 16.49rpm
message back

Formula I received from my tutor was for a similar problem
but can't be used in this one! I think I'm still wrong as I have
used a slightly strange route, could you help me solve it please.
Thanks

You just can't look at one 'similar' problem and expect to solve another. You've got to get right down to the basics by drawing a sketch of the problem, identify the forces acting on the chair, draw a good free body diagram of the chair, and apply Newton's laws and your unsderstanding of cenrtipetal forces and centripetal acceleration.
By drawing a sketch, you should be able to note that the radius of the circle in which the chair moves is (3 + 3.5sin20). Now identify the forces acting on the chair in the x and y directions, and apply Newton's laws. The chair does not accelerate in the y direction, but id does accelerate centripetally in the x direction. Are you familiar with free body diagrams and Newton's laws?

panthomjay is right.
understand that the centripetal acceleration along the x-axis will be the resultant of the weight of the chair and the tension in the chain. when this ia at the required angle you will be able th calculate Fcentripetal and also tangential speed - do you know the mass involved etc?

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle.

2. What causes centripetal force?

Centripetal force is caused by the inertia of an object moving in a circular path, which results in a tendency to move in a straight line. This force is provided by other objects or forces, such as tension in a string or gravitational attraction.

3. How is centripetal force calculated?

The magnitude of centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = mv²/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. Can centripetal force be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, centripetal force can be greater than the weight of an object. This occurs when the object is moving in a circular path at a high speed, causing a larger value for the force needed to maintain the circular motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Centripetal force can be observed in many everyday activities, such as a car turning a corner, a satellite orbiting the Earth, or a spinning top. It is also important in amusement park rides, such as roller coasters and merry-go-rounds.

Back