Identifying Cepheid Variables from Spectrum

• Thread starter Galaxy111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spectrum
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of why astronomers attribute the observed Doppler shifts of a Cepheid variable to pulsation rather than orbital motion. The participants suggest that the correlation between the maximum blueshift, maximum surface temperature, and apparent magnitude of the star, as well as the lack of a spectrum from a companion and the time-dependent wavelength shift in the expanding atmosphere, support the idea of pulsation as the cause. They also mention that models of stellar dynamics align with the observed data. The conversation concludes with the suggestion that the intrinsic variability of stars and the effects of temperature, density, and pressure on helium can help explain the pulsation.
Galaxy111
Hi all,

Recently I came across an interesting question:

"...Why do astronomers attribute the observed Doppler shifts of a Cepheid variable as pulsation, rather than to some other causes, such as orbital motion? "

OK, I have my ideas about the problem as there is a correlation between e. g. the max. blueshift (spectrum),the max surface temp. (from the Wien-displacement law I guess) and the apparent magnitude (observation) of the star.
But still, is there a way to tell it is a cepheid from its pure spectrum without knowing more?

Greetings
Galaxy :smile:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Just a guess, but possibly.
1, No spectrum from companion
2, Speed, does the rate measured for the expanding atmosphere give a reasonable orbital radius.
3, Wavelength time dependance, in the expanding atmosphere different wavelenghts might be emitted at different parts of the cycle as different temperatures/pressures are seen, if it was orbital they would all be moving at the same rate.

Thanks for an answer mgb phys. Yes, in fact all of the three have well to be considered.

Cheers
Galaxy

Yes - thank you Chronos. I know these calculations. Only, it doesn't really explain the tricky question. Why can we tell from the pure Doppler-shift of the Cepheid spectrum that the envelope of the star is moving and the red/blue-shift doesn't have some other cause? Interesting though. I think mgb phys has given some good starting points here.

Galaxy

There are two IMO very good reasons to explain this as pulsation over the proposed alternatives of orbital motions:

(1) The fact that all stars of a given luminosity behave the same way suggests that the variability is an intrinsic property of the star. If it was orbital, why are the orbits identical?

(2) Models of stellar dynamics - particularly the effect of temperature, density and pressure on helium - give pulsation and match the observed data. Alternatives do not.

Good point Vanadium; especially your no. 1 seems to lead to this suggestion. My initial thinking was also stellar dynamics, as it will convince as well.
But still, from the pure pure spectrum shift it seems to be quite difficult, if anyhow possible, to tell its the moving envelope.
Thanks again to you all.

Galaxy

1. What are Cepheid variables and why are they important in astronomy?

Cepheid variables are a type of pulsating star that exhibits regular changes in brightness. They are important in astronomy because they have a known relationship between their period of brightness variation and their intrinsic luminosity, making them useful for measuring distances to faraway galaxies.

2. How do scientists identify Cepheid variables from spectrum data?

Scientists can identify Cepheid variables from spectrum data by analyzing the periodic changes in the star's spectrum, which correspond to its brightness variations. This is done through a process called spectroscopy, where the light from the star is split into different wavelengths and analyzed for characteristic patterns.

3. What are the challenges in identifying Cepheid variables from spectrum?

One of the main challenges in identifying Cepheid variables from spectrum is distinguishing them from other types of variable stars, such as RR Lyrae stars. This requires careful analysis and comparison with known standards. Additionally, instrument limitations and noise in the data can also make identification difficult.

4. How accurate are the distance measurements obtained from identifying Cepheid variables from spectrum?

The distance measurements obtained from identifying Cepheid variables from spectrum are generally quite accurate, with an uncertainty of about 5-10%. However, this can vary depending on the quality of the data and the specific method used to calculate the distance.

5. Can Cepheid variables be used to measure distances beyond our own galaxy?

Yes, Cepheid variables can be used to measure distances beyond our own galaxy. In fact, they are one of the primary tools used in extragalactic astronomy, as they are bright enough to be observed in more distant galaxies. This has allowed scientists to map the structure and expansion of the universe.