Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ceramic Cutting Tools

1. Jan 30, 2007 #1
    Could somebody help me to get information of cutting speed and depth of cut for ceramic cutting tools?
    I would need to have a data for all the ceramic types.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The manufacturer's technical data sheets should tell you everything you need to know.

A vague question gets a vague answer, so as a guide, for turning, carbide coated tools run at cutting speeds from 25-360m/s, at feed speeds between 0.25-1.5mm/rev.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  4. Jan 31, 2007 #3
    Clearing up!

Thanks Brewnog!!

The thing is, at the company that I work will start to sell Ceramic Cutting Tools and I don't have a technical sheet for it, therefore I want a help to get it in order to formulate one of our own.

Thanks for your help!
  5. Jan 31, 2007 #4
  6. Jan 31, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't start recommending customers with feeds and speeds based on the information I gave you; those details were just typical values for a wide range of workpiece materials and tool types.

The tool manufacturer will be able to give you all the technical data you need.
  7. Jan 31, 2007 #6

It happens that my sister company is the manufacturer and they don't have this info., therefore I need to put it together in order to start selling it.
    I've got some info. from Kennametal, but it's metal inserts.

fcesar: Obrigado, já havia pesquisado neste site, mas gratuitamente não da acesso a este conteúdo!
  8. Jan 31, 2007 #7

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm a bit concerned that the manufacturer doesn't have information for safe cutting speeds, let alone recommended feeds and speeds!
  9. Mar 19, 2007 #8

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I guess that's no-brand quality right there.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?