1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ceramic Cutting Tools

1. Jan 30, 2007 #1
    Could somebody help me to get information of cutting speed and depth of cut for ceramic cutting tools?
    I would need to have a data for all the ceramic types.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2007 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The manufacturer's technical data sheets should tell you everything you need to know.

A vague question gets a vague answer, so as a guide, for turning, carbide coated tools run at cutting speeds from 25-360m/s, at feed speeds between 0.25-1.5mm/rev.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  4. Jan 31, 2007 #3
    Clearing up!

Thanks Brewnog!!

The thing is, at the company that I work will start to sell Ceramic Cutting Tools and I don't have a technical sheet for it, therefore I want a help to get it in order to formulate one of our own.

Thanks for your help!

5. Jan 31, 2007 #4
  6. Jan 31, 2007 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't start recommending customers with feeds and speeds based on the information I gave you; those details were just typical values for a wide range of workpiece materials and tool types.

The tool manufacturer will be able to give you all the technical data you need.

7. Jan 31, 2007 #6
    Thanks!!

It happens that my sister company is the manufacturer and they don't have this info., therefore I need to put it together in order to start selling it.
    I've got some info. from Kennametal, but it's metal inserts.
    (http://chris.gillings.com/collect/slide/kennametal_csc.html)

fcesar: Obrigado, já havia pesquisado neste site, mas gratuitamente não da acesso a este conteúdo!

8. Jan 31, 2007 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm a bit concerned that the manufacturer doesn't have information for safe cutting speeds, let alone recommended feeds and speeds!

9. Mar 19, 2007 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I guess that's no-brand quality right there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?