Cerenkov Radiation/Cerenkov Light

• Thread starter Artermis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, Cerenkov radiation is the light emitted by a transparent medium when charged particles pass through it at a speed greater than the speed of light in the medium. This phenomenon occurs because the particles are not actually traveling faster than light, but rather the light is slowed down by interactions with matter. This is known as Cerenkov radiation and can be observed in nuclear reactors.
Artermis
I have done a search but found no answers to my question; which is, why; by definition...
Cerenkov radiation: light emitted by a transparent medium when charged particles pass through it at a speed greater than the speed of light in the medium.
After I read that, I immediately narrowed my eyes.

No sites I have been to have addressed the rather strange thing that the particle is defined to be traveling faster than the speed of light. Can anyone explain this to me? I am having trouble understanding how this particle can move faster than the speed of light.

Thanks,
-Artermis

Physics news on Phys.org
the particle isn't actually traveling faster than light. the light still moves at c. it just gets absorbed and reemitted by matter which makes it take longer to go a certain length. though the particle can beat the photon from point a to point b, it is not traveling faster.

iirc, the cerenkov radiation is because the charged particle outruns the photons which make up it's electric field.

dear yourdadonapogostick,

ah, i see... so light is actually moving slower in the medium? so it appears as though the particle is outrunning light, it's not, really, light just got the brakes put on it?
pleaes confirm that i have understood this correctly

Thanks,
Artermis

that's correct. Remember that no particle can go faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, in a medium where light is slowed down by interactions with matter, it is perfectly acceptable for a particle to move faster than the speed of light, and when this happens, usually in nuclear reactors, the result is Cerenkov Radiation.

~Lyuokdea

1. What is Cerenkov radiation?

Cerenkov radiation, also known as Cerenkov light, is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted when a charged particle, such as an electron, travels through a medium at speeds faster than the speed of light in that medium. It produces a characteristic blue glow that can be observed in certain materials, such as water and glass.

2. How is Cerenkov radiation created?

Cerenkov radiation is created when a charged particle, usually an electron, passes through a medium at a speed greater than the speed of light in that medium. This causes the charged particle to polarize the atoms in the medium, leading to the emission of photons in a cone-shaped shockwave that can be observed as a blue light.

3. What are the applications of Cerenkov radiation?

Cerenkov radiation has several applications in science and technology. It is commonly used in particle physics experiments to detect and study high-energy charged particles. It is also used in medical imaging, such as in PET scans, and in nuclear reactors to detect and measure the intensity of radiation.

4. Can Cerenkov radiation be harmful?

Cerenkov radiation itself is not harmful, as it is a type of non-ionizing radiation. However, the charged particles that produce Cerenkov radiation can be harmful if they are high-energy particles, such as those found in nuclear reactors. In these cases, proper safety measures are in place to protect individuals from any potential harm.

5. How is Cerenkov radiation different from other types of radiation?

Cerenkov radiation is different from other types of radiation, such as x-rays and gamma rays, because it is not emitted by the nucleus of an atom. Instead, it is created by the interaction of a charged particle with a medium. Additionally, Cerenkov radiation produces a characteristic blue glow, while other types of radiation may not be visible to the human eye.