1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions CERN internship on CV

1. Apr 22, 2017 #1
    Hello! I was wondering how much does being admitted to CERN Summer Student Program counts for applying to a grad school in USA (and I mean adding this to your CV, personal statement and getting a recommendation letter from your mentor there). Like is this considered as more important than an usual internship (where you talk to a professor and work on a project with him) i.e. does it make your application stand out in any way (assuming that one applies for experimental particle physics for grad school)? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2017 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

it can't hurt

4. Apr 22, 2017 #3
    My question was not whether to add it or not to the CV. My question was how much does it actually counts for grad school in USA?

5. Apr 22, 2017 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

any internship doesn't hurt. this is a question you need to discuss with a faculty member at a perspective school to see if it would have any bearing positive or negative.

6. Apr 22, 2017 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The opportunities you have been given matter less than what you do with those opportunities,

7. Apr 24, 2017 #6

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Your letter are the most important part of your application, so it depends on the letter you get from the person you work with. However, given that they are at CERN, it is very likely that they are well known and respected, so the letter will carry a lot of weight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted