CERN Summer Student Program: Boost Your Grad School Application

In summary, the person is asking if being admitted to the CERN Summer Student Program holds any weight in applying to a grad school in USA, specifically for experimental particle physics. They clarify that they are not asking whether to include it in their CV, but rather how much it counts for grad school. The response is that any internship can be beneficial and that the value of the opportunity depends on the recommendation letter received from the mentor at CERN. It is suggested to discuss this with a faculty member at a prospective school to see if it would have a positive or negative impact. Ultimately, the quality of the recommendation letter is the most important factor in the application. However, being at CERN is likely to hold weight as the organization is well-known
Silviu
Hello! I was wondering how much does being admitted to CERN Summer Student Program counts for applying to a grad school in USA (and I mean adding this to your CV, personal statement and getting a recommendation letter from your mentor there). Like is this considered as more important than an usual internship (where you talk to a professor and work on a project with him) i.e. does it make your application stand out in any way (assuming that one applies for experimental particle physics for grad school)? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr Transport said:
it can't hurt
My question was not whether to add it or not to the CV. My question was how much does it actually counts for grad school in USA?

any internship doesn't hurt. this is a question you need to discuss with a faculty member at a perspective school to see if it would have any bearing positive or negative.

The opportunities you have been given matter less than what you do with those opportunities,

Likes Sirsh and atyy
Your letter are the most important part of your application, so it depends on the letter you get from the person you work with. However, given that they are at CERN, it is very likely that they are well known and respected, so the letter will carry a lot of weight.

What is the CERN Summer Student Program?

The CERN Summer Student Program is a highly competitive and prestigious program for undergraduate and graduate students interested in pursuing a career in physics or engineering. It offers a unique opportunity to work on cutting-edge research projects at the world-renowned European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Geneva, Switzerland.

Who is eligible to apply for the CERN Summer Student Program?

The program is open to students from all nationalities who are enrolled in a full-time undergraduate or graduate program in physics, engineering, computer science, or mathematics. Applicants must have completed at least three years of full-time studies by the time the program starts and should not have started their PhD at the time of application.

How can participating in the CERN Summer Student Program benefit my graduate school application?

The CERN Summer Student Program can greatly enhance your graduate school application by providing hands-on research experience at a world-class institution. It demonstrates your passion and commitment to your field of study, as well as your ability to work in a diverse and international environment. Additionally, the program offers networking opportunities with top researchers and scientists, which can be valuable for letters of recommendation.

What is the duration of the CERN Summer Student Program?

The program runs for 8-13 weeks, depending on the project and department. The exact dates vary each year, but the program typically starts in June and ends in mid-September.

Is the CERN Summer Student Program a paid opportunity?

Yes, selected participants will receive a monthly stipend to cover living expenses, as well as a travel allowance. Accommodation and health insurance will also be provided by CERN. However, please note that the stipend may not cover all expenses, and participants are responsible for their own visa and travel arrangements.