Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cern Scientist

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    Roughly how much does a Cern physicist or other scientist make each year?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's not about the money. It's about the private jets at your disposal.

4. Dec 12, 2009 #3
    They have a private jet?

5. Dec 12, 2009 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Sorry. It's a reference to one of Dan Brown's books - Angels & Demons where the director of CERN had a private jet at his disposal. To the best of my knowledge this is not the case.

To be honest, I don't know too much about CERN itself. Scientists in large collaborative experiments have a range of salaries. Most of them will be post-doctoral fellows working contract positions making ballpark $40k US per year. Professors will earn more. Graduate students will earn less.

6. Dec 12, 2009 #5
    Thats it? Does it rise exponentially with experience?

7. Dec 13, 2009 #6
    I'll have to say, this thread turned out to be a very funny dialogue.

8. Dec 14, 2009 #7
    It does not..

9. Dec 14, 2009 #8
    There are a lot of people who want to play with the newest and coolest toys. They don't have to offer big money to attract big talent.

10. Dec 15, 2009 #9
    You get to torture research students and take long golf breaks after a few decades experience. No private jet, but lots of free flights to exotic places -- you may have to give a half hour talk though, which interrupts the golf playing. Tortured research students will do the grunt work & even write the paper if you torture them enough... If you are *really* lazy, or the golf is really good, you can take a research student with you to give the talk, but that's wasting a free flight you can take later in the year... Also they get above themselves if you give them any perks...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook