Cern Scientist

Roughly how much does a Cern physicist or other scientist make each year?

Choppy

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
It's not about the money. It's about the private jets at your disposal.

They have a private jet?

Choppy

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Sorry. It's a reference to one of Dan Brown's books - Angels & Demons where the director of CERN had a private jet at his disposal. To the best of my knowledge this is not the case.

To be honest, I don't know too much about CERN itself. Scientists in large collaborative experiments have a range of salaries. Most of them will be post-doctoral fellows working contract positions making ballpark $40k US per year. Professors will earn more. Graduate students will earn less.

Thats it? Does it rise exponentially with experience?

I'll have to say, this thread turned out to be a very funny dialogue.

There are a lot of people who want to play with the newest and coolest toys. They don't have to offer big money to attract big talent.

You get to torture research students and take long golf breaks after a few decades experience. No private jet, but lots of free flights to exotic places -- you may have to give a half hour talk though, which interrupts the golf playing. Tortured research students will do the grunt work & even write the paper if you torture them enough... If you are *really* lazy, or the golf is really good, you can take a research student with you to give the talk, but that's wasting a free flight you can take later in the year... Also they get above themselves if you give them any perks...

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving