1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cern Scientist

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    Roughly how much does a Cern physicist or other scientist make each year?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's not about the money. It's about the private jets at your disposal.

4. Dec 12, 2009 #3
    They have a private jet?

5. Dec 12, 2009 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Sorry. It's a reference to one of Dan Brown's books - Angels & Demons where the director of CERN had a private jet at his disposal. To the best of my knowledge this is not the case.

To be honest, I don't know too much about CERN itself. Scientists in large collaborative experiments have a range of salaries. Most of them will be post-doctoral fellows working contract positions making ballpark $40k US per year. Professors will earn more. Graduate students will earn less.

6. Dec 12, 2009 #5
    Thats it? Does it rise exponentially with experience?

7. Dec 13, 2009 #6
    I'll have to say, this thread turned out to be a very funny dialogue.

8. Dec 14, 2009 #7
    It does not..

9. Dec 14, 2009 #8
    There are a lot of people who want to play with the newest and coolest toys. They don't have to offer big money to attract big talent.

10. Dec 15, 2009 #9
    You get to torture research students and take long golf breaks after a few decades experience. No private jet, but lots of free flights to exotic places -- you may have to give a half hour talk though, which interrupts the golf playing. Tortured research students will do the grunt work & even write the paper if you torture them enough... If you are *really* lazy, or the golf is really good, you can take a research student with you to give the talk, but that's wasting a free flight you can take later in the year... Also they get above themselves if you give them any perks...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook