Understanding the Impact of Strong Deactivating Groups on Elimination Reactions

In summary, the conversation is about understanding a reaction involving 1(4-Nitrophenyl)-1-phenylpropan-2-ol and concentrated sulphuric acid. The expected product is 1(4-Nitrophenyl)-1-phenylprop-1-ene, but there is a concern about the stability of the carbocation due to the strong deactivating -R group NO2. The discussion also includes the concept of resonance stability and its relation to the energy of the compound. The conversation ends with a request for references on how resonance energy varies with different factors.
mystic-
hey i wanted help on understanding a particular reaction
we have a compound
1(4-Nitrophenyl)-1-phenylpropan-2-ol and its reaction with concentrated sulphuric acid at the suitable temperature.
Actually our teacher said that it would form 1(4-Nitrophenyl)-1-phenylprop-1-ene after the elimination reaction but i was wondering that since NO2 is a strong deactivating -R group so it will not let the carbocation get stabilised at that position.
Am i thinking right that one of the resonating structures of the product so formed would lead to great destabilisation and increase in total energy content?
this is contradictory as this would give the compound with formula 3(4-Nitrophenyl)-3-phenylprop-1-ene
Could anybody give me the explanation for the product?

Thanks anyway

Physics news on Phys.org
mystic,
  • The resonance stability increases with the increased number of contributing structures
  • Whether a single hypothetical contributing structure will contribute significantly to resonance will depend on it's relative stability.
So, I think that while the N02 group will not stabilise the carbocation at that position, the other resonance structures (due to the phenyl group) will indeed stabilise the carbocation and thus form 1(4-Nitrophenyl)-1-phenylpropan-2-ol.

yes i know that the phenyl does contribute to the stability with its resonating structures but isn't there a great rise in the energy of the compound and instability if there is any resonating structure which is destabilising and in this case it is a Strong -R group ( NO2)
anybody has any references to any sites which tells how resonance energy varies with such factors? i ll be grateful if somebody could provide me such a link:smile:

1. What is a certain elimination reaction?

A certain elimination reaction is a chemical reaction in which a molecule loses a small group, such as a hydrogen atom, to form a double bond or ring structure. This process is also known as dehydrogenation.

2. What is the purpose of certain elimination reactions?

Certain elimination reactions are used to synthesize new compounds or to convert one compound into another. They can also be used to remove unwanted functional groups or to form new carbon-carbon bonds.

3. How do certain elimination reactions differ from substitution reactions?

In substitution reactions, one functional group is replaced by another. In elimination reactions, a functional group is removed from a molecule. Additionally, substitution reactions often involve the use of a nucleophile, while elimination reactions do not.

4. What factors influence the rate of certain elimination reactions?

The rate of certain elimination reactions is influenced by the nature of the substrate, the strength of the base used, and the reaction conditions, such as temperature and solvent. Steric hindrance and the presence of neighboring groups can also affect the rate of the reaction.

5. Can certain elimination reactions result in multiple products?

Yes, certain elimination reactions can result in multiple products. This can occur when there are multiple hydrogen atoms or functional groups that can be removed from the substrate. The selectivity of the reaction can be controlled by the choice of base and reaction conditions.